Blue Baggin

Rad

I'm not perfect. Neither are you. wink.gif

Now we've gotten that out of the way let's get down to business:

BLUE BAGS* are not just for Rainier, the Boston Basin, and the Enchantments. Take them into other pristine alpine wilderness areas where biodegradation is too slow to prevent water supplies from being contaminated. They're free, they're easy to use, and they won't rupture in your pack unless you drive over it with a snugtop.gif.

* the free double bag poop transport system available at ranger stations, which you need to visit anyway to get your permits.

Here's some encouragement for the squeamish among you: on a recent trip into the Green Glacier are of the Twin Sisters range I had the urge to purge right before we got on the glacier/snowfield. In that rubble-filled canyon it was clear that anything I did would wash directly into the valley water system in a heartbeat (or fartbeat). So I used a blue bag, carried it in my pack up technical rock, down butt-bumping talus, through dense and nasty brush to the car. The bag was still intact when I disposed of it in Bellingham. I don't want a medal, I'm just trying to point out that it's easy.

An example of what not to "do": When I went to the Gothic lakes area last May I crossed a creek below a waterfall and found someone had cut cable on the thin snow bridge DIRECTLY OVER the creek. cry.gif I guess that was the flattest spot they found. Yuck! thumbs_down.gif Maybe karma will find it's way into that person's water bottle someday.

So please keep our lovely alpine wilderness areas pristine by carrying BLUE BAGS, using them, and returning them to civilization for disposal.

If you can't pack out your steamy lump then bury it at least 200ft from any water or channel that runs into water.

OK, I'm getting off my high horse now.

wave.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this occurred to me while going up Thielsen this weekend. Why do people have to blue bag but horses are allowed to crap all over the trail. I'm sure the answer to that is that horses aren't allowed places that humans are requied to blue bag, but it really pissed me off on Sunday. I think horse riders should be required to diaper or clean up after their horse when using hiking trails.

...So please keep our lovely alpine wilderness areas pristine by carrying BLUE BAGS, using them, and returning them to civilization for disposal...

Note the last part, folks: return them to civilization for disposal.

If you just drop it in the outhouse at the TH, it's a bitch to vacuum that stuff out of the pit. Take it home and put it in your garbage can so it makes its way to the landfill. Your shit, and the plastic bags containing it, is way less potent than all the other shit already in there.

Alternatively, know when you can "smear" and when not to. Burn your TP or pack it out for alternate disposal.

One thing that really peeves me is finding "paper flowers" all over the place. It's fuggin' redneck. madgo_ron.gif