Holy. Shit.

JayB

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool! i must say i have a little difficulty with the praising of people hurtling themselves over cliffs on perfectly good bicycles and the need to have every climb as safe as possible. perhaps i am just being old school but it seems like a disconnect in messages.

cool! i must say i have a little difficulty with the praising of people hurtling themselves over cliffs on perfectly good bicycles and the need to have every climb as safe as possible. perhaps i am just being old school but it seems like a disconnect in messages.

If I had argued for making every climb as safe as possible there would indeed be a disconnect. I've argued against certain critiques that are commonly directed against sportclimbing, but I have never argued for adding bolts to existing lines, bolting cracks, etc - about the closest I've come to advocating that argument is that I think it's a good idea to replace dangerous bolts/fixed hardware, and that I am not going to lose any sleep over bolts near cracks at places like Shelf Road, where they've been established for years but that's about it.

What I have said is that I think it's ridiculous for someone to claim that the mere existence of heavily bolted lines or people who limit their climbing to such routes is going to somehow eliminate, imperil, or imperil anyone's ability to climb dangerous routes if they want to. If we were talking about adding bolts to existing lines, then that would be a different discussion.

Maybe I'm misreading the "I hate bolts because they take the adventure out of climbing" argument on some profound level, but to me that assertion seems as ludicrous as the guys in the said video making the argument that paved bike paths and the people who ride them are somehow going to lead to the wholesale elimination of risk from cycling, and make it impossible for them to huck 360's off of two or three story drops if they want to.

Even in the profoundly unlikely event that every existing line were bolted every two feet - anyone who wanted to do so could get their gnarl on by strolling up to the base of a new line, sans bolts/pins/hammers/etc and having at it.

Fuck yeah. I might have to order that one. I like all of the Unchained series, and this one has all the big names. Also great footage from BC, Southern Utah, and I think there was a little bit from E27 or it was Hood River. Those guys are sick and those hardtail drops, no thanks, I likes suspension. thumbs_up.giffruit.gifbigdrink.giffruit.gifbigdrink.giffruit.gifbigdrink.giffruit.gifbigdrink.giffruit.gif