• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jcouch

age question.

Hey, I was just had a question for people who have or are planning on climbing rainier. How old or young are you? I am 18 soon 19 and I am climbing rainier next year. At least I am hoping on doing it smile.gif

what are record age extremes for summiting Rainier?...something like 6 and 86?

Age is really irrelevant in this case. Training, skills proficiency, experience, and conditioning will be much bigger factors than age.

One night in 1999 or 2000, I was snuggled up in my portaledge on the Nose, all proud of myself for making it through the first day alive, and allofasudden a flare when off.

Later, I learned that the oldest guy to ever climb the Nose had just topped out (at 3am) and was celebrating. He was in his 80s or some such nonsense.

Talk about being humbled.....

I would contend that weather is the biggest factor.

Good point. In review, I see that I limited my list to those factors that are within any given climber's control.

jesus people, I wasnt asking how old you have to be to climb the mountain. I wanted to know if there was anyone on this bored, that is in my age group, that has or is planning on climbing rainier

thanks.

FYI - if you climb above 12,000' before the age of 20, your testicles will retreat into your body and never redescend.

jesus people, I wasnt asking how old you have to be to climb the mountain. I wanted to know if there was anyone on this bored, that is in my age group, that has or is planning on climbing rainier

thanks.

We don't read well, that happens with age.

However, you called it when you said "bored" Geek_em8.gif

thanks.

We don't read well, that happens with age.

However, you called it when you said "bored" Geek_em8.gif

haha whoops...thanks

FYI - if you climb above 12,000' before the age of 20, your testicles will retreat into your body and never redescend.

Yup, that is why there are a lot of sterile people in CO. Independence pass, which lies between Aspen and the east slopes is just over 12k. smile.gif Climb safe, and watch those testicles.

I wish I had the opportunity to climb Rainier at that age, but growing up in Roanoke, Va. I had little opportunity. I actually climbed the Tetons (lived in Jackson during summer breaks from college), Ecuadorian volcanoes, in the Cordillera Blanca, and Aconcagua before I ever set foot on Rainier. But, I've moved out here and don't see myself moving back. Watch out it may happen to you as well! I am sure there are some climbers your age. I am an old man at 29........

people who have or are planning on climbing rainier.

That covers just about everyone on this board.

I was 24 the first time I climbed Rainier. 18 is a great age to climb - provided you're mature/experienced enough to make good decisions or are climbing with someone who is.

have you found yours yet???

I've been above 12,000 feet, and I never have found mine. They must have retreated way up into, like, my, um, can you say the U-word on this board?