Upper Wall Question

DCramer

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jens-

Was he actually "shot at" or were the bullits just fired from above him?

I also have never seen stuff fly off but I have seen the remnants.

Once Kat and I hiked up to the top via trails during a hard rain. we ran into some local hick boys 4x4ing and pounding buds down faster than they could think. The leader was absolutely amazed that we could hike up to the same spot in about an hour. He really had no idea humans were capable of such feats. I told him we could race to the bar and he just smiled.

Really I think most anybody on top tossing sheit down or being roudy most likely is just as oblivious to the fact that people are scaling the cliffs and hiking below.

A nice fence might be a good idea, set back from the wall but passable for the awe-lookers...

Jens-

Was he actually "shot at" or were the bullits just fired from above him?

I also have never seen stuff fly off but I have seen the remnants.

Once Kat and I hiked up to the top via trails during a hard rain. we ran into some local hick boys 4x4ing and pounding buds down faster than they could think. The leader was absolutely amazed that we could hike up to the same spot in about an hour. He really had no idea humans were capable of such feats. I told him we could race to the bar and he just smiled.

Really I think most anybody on top tossing sheit down or being roudy most likely is just as oblivious to the fact that people are scaling the cliffs and hiking below.

A nice fence might be a good idea, set back from the wall but passable for the awe-lookers...

actually shot at. -richochets off the dihedral if I remember the story right.

What about the mythical lost hot springs that are a one hour hike from the top of the upper wall?

A 70's hardman described them to me when I was a kid.

I almost got pogged roping up for tempitchewus about 5 years ago. It started with a few softly floating empty beer cans. No biggie we thought till I heard something big cutting air and I dove to the base of the wall a second before a stump exploded where I was sitting. Needless to say we bailed. I had heard prior to that day that shit raining down accounted for the routes name but had got on it a couple times before without incident. Haven't had any trouble any where else up there.

About a year ago several friends and I were walking back from Heart of the Country when we were stopped by a group of 7-8 people on quads. They asked us if we saw anything fall from the top of the upper wall. Then they asked how to get to the base of the upper wall. After a few probing questions they confessed one of their quads "lost its brakes" and went over the top of the upper wall. They wanted to retrieve as many parts as possible. One guy was pretty shaken up. He said he dove off the quad before it went over. Havent seen any falling quads since!

Weekends have more hazard. On April 3rd 2004 (a Saturday) I had just gotten off Lamplighter/Heaven's Gate. We were just walking out when several objects fell around us, exploding like mortar fire. Terrified, we sought cover. Then we heard a bottle breaking from above, so we knew it was bubbas tossing stuff off. We had just started hiking out, so we were probably below or slightly right of HG. I now usually wear a helmet whenever I'm up there, even when walking out.

There is a lot of junk further left. I packed out several fresh cans and other garbage. One item had a date from earlier this year on the packaging. I was there when TomTom was trundling the camper shell.

I guess there is a trail that leads up there? Anyone know more about that trail? How popular is it? What kind of vehicles go there?

An old, marginally passable logging spur leads to within 50 or so of the top near Davis/Holland. This spur is off of upper Reiter Road which is the ORV capital of the known universe. The lands involved are a mix of DNR and State Parks with the actual top of the wall being, I'm fairly sure, the latter. For info, or for that matter to raise hell, you could chat with the rangers at Wallace Falls. The bulk of the ORV folks seem to be pretty much OK but there is an element that needs to get reined in now and again.