summit pack

layton

does anyone sell these anymore!!! chirst, no one has anything anywhere.

looking for the Serratus Genie equivolent. i.e. stuff sack with straps...no frame, padding, bullshit. just a sleeve for a hydration bladder, zippered top flap for snacks and shades, and two tool loops and daisy chain for poon lashing. anyone got an extra genie?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also got a Serratus Genie. In fact, I've got two! (a small, and a large. The small fits me better so if anyone wants a 'size long, blue' make me an offer).

I've used it in the Rockies, the Presidentials, and a 5 day trip in the ADKs. House and Josephson used it on King Peak. I've got a video of one on the summit of Everest! It is a great pack with a lot of credibility.

I've looked at the new MEC Alpinelite 30 on the MEC site and I don't think it compares. The reason I decided on the Genie was because of its uncluttered, compressible simplicity...no extra straps, crampon patches, or extra weight.

But hold on! The Alpenlite 30 weighs the same 400g as the Genie!!! How is that possible??? The fabric is a similar denier, and the pack is a similar size but has a back pad, and extra junk on it.

They're getting very scarce. I just bought the small one last month after the MEC rep scoured the computer inventory for it!

cheers,

Urban Sherpa

• 1 month later...
The Alpinelite 30 is not the same weight as the Genie - in fact, the MEC website now states the weight of the Alpinelite is 720g. Just got one in the mail and sure enough it weighs more than a Golite Jam (which carries something like 11L more) !

Could you weigh it, both with and without the removable back pad? I am very interested in this pack and would like to know the real weight. MEC lists both 390 g and 720 g for the Std pack, could it be that? If so, it'd be a sweet Genie replacement w/o the back pad.

drC

The Alpinelite 30 is not the same weight as the Genie - in fact, the MEC website now states the weight of the Alpinelite is 720g. Just got one in the mail and sure enough it weighs more than a Golite Jam (which carries something like 11L more) !

Could you weigh it, both with and without the removable back pad? I am very interested in this pack and would like to know the real weight. MEC lists both 390 g and 720 g for the Std pack, could it be that? If so, it'd be a sweet Genie replacement w/o the back pad.

drC

720g is more accurate, and the foam pad is only about an ounce or two. "If it sounds too good to be true ..."