New BD Camalots problems

scrambled_legs

I bought a few of the new style cams a while ago. When I got home I was dissapointed to find that the axle on the #3 allowed about 1/4" gap between the cam lobes and the axle end. The axle shifts back and forth through the center and you can end up with two lobes on the left 1/4" further from the center post then the right side and vice versa. I thought it was a defect so I took it back to get exchanged but was surprised to see that all the #3's had the same gap and some of the #4's also. The store contacted BD and they explained that it wasn't a safety issue. After a bunch of contact back and forth, they finally said that they had redesigned the axle length to allow for grime and grit that gets into the moving parts. The tighter cams were still using the old axle length and all the new ones had a longer length. Is this really the truth???? If it is it seems a bit bogus as the springs already allow space for grit to escape and 1/4" of grit seems a bit far fetched. I've been searching stores to find a cam that has a tighter grouping but have been out of luck so far. I don't like the idea of climbing on a cam where the lobes can slide back and forth that amount. Anyone have some more info on this???

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of cams are that way already. check out most of the forged friends and the larger metolius cams. You can slide the lobes around a little bit, and it does actually help with getting the graphite in there when being serviced...

Yes, but it is still an interesting question from an engineering standpoint. Does it help with stability by spreading the fulcrum? Does it minimize cam walking by having two central-ish point? Is it really just a gimmick to allow for grungy climbers to stay grimy?

I won't sleep til I know.

Sure they all do it to some extent but has anyone seen these new cams. I bought a #2,3 and 4 and the 2 and 4 have an 1/16" -1/8" of play at most. The #3 had 1/4". When I called the store, they got so freaked out that they pulled the whole lot. I went into another store and they did the same thing. No one calmly said that that's normal. As soon as the employees saw it they said holy $*#@ that isn't right and contacted BD. There is not only tons of play but when we measured the axle length on the #4's there were different lengths by more than 1cm on the new cams. This is either really poor workmanship or they had a problem with the machine setup on a few batches and because it wasn't as safety issue decided to save costs and sell them anyways or they are using the old axles with the new lobes and because of the size difference of the new lobes there is excessive play or they really do feel they need 1/4" of slop in the system to work the grit out. Whatever the answer it is nowhere near the amount of play found in metolious, dmm, aliens etc. and I really don't like it. I'll try and find a digital camera and take a picture so I can post it to show you what I mean.

A friend of mine found this problem(?) out after he got some camalots mailed to him. It wasn't just a gap on the axle, the lobes were so out of whack one side wouldn't expand unless pulled outward with force. I would consider this a major design problem if the play on the axle caused the lobes to stick. I believe they were catching on the spring.

Here is the official word from BD'd QA Manager:

Axles of different Length

the short version of the explanation is that we increased the length of the

axles on the #4 to allow for a bit more clearance. This was an in-line

change. Both iterations were tested extensively and performed safely and

well in all situations, however we decided that a little more room for

clearance between the cam lobes, the side plates and the center cross bar

allowed for the cam to function a little smoother especially when gunked up

with dirt after sitting at the base of routes, like at Indian Creek, etc.

so yes, there are cams in existence that have different length axles (of

course one cam wouldn't have two different axles, rather some cams on your

store shelf have axles that are longer than other cams on your store shelf).

All units are safe, correct, and good to go.

Clearance between cam lobes, side plates and cross-bar

What you're also seeing, and as I said earlier, is related to the axle

length - is the amount of play, or the amount of side-to-side movement of

the lobes on the axles

again this is intentional and designed to allow the cams to function

properly in all conditions.

i think its awesome that BD was willing to make an inline improvement to something already in production...it had to cost them a little bit...additionally, it showed that they were willing to continue to improve an already well functioning design thumbs_up.gif

silky smooth!

Sure they all do it to some extent but has anyone seen these new cams. I bought a #2,3 and 4 and the 2 and 4 have an 1/16" -1/8" of play at most. The #3 had 1/4". When I called the store, they got so freaked out that they pulled the whole lot. I went into another store and they did the same thing. No one calmly said that that's normal. As soon as the employees saw it they said holy $*#@ that isn't right and contacted BD. There is not only tons of play but when we measured the axle length on the #4's there were different lengths by more than 1cm on the new cams. This is either really poor workmanship or they had a problem with the machine setup on a few batches and because it wasn't as safety issue decided to save costs and sell them anyways or they are using the old axles with the new lobes and because of the size difference of the new lobes there is excessive play or they really do feel they need 1/4" of slop in the system to work the grit out. Whatever the answer it is nowhere near the amount of play found in metolious, dmm, aliens etc. and I really don't like it. I'll try and find a digital camera and take a picture so I can post it to show you what I mean.

Well, Scrambled Legs, since you "really don't like it", I am willing to take these DANGEROUS and potentially LIFE-THREATENING devices off of your hands, free of charge. I will be happy to endanger and threaten myself with bodily harm by testing these SCARY-LOOKING cams and will be happy to let you know the minute one doesn't work.

yelrotflmao.gif

Well, Scrambled Legs, since you "really don't like it", I am willing to take these DANGEROUS and potentially LIFE-THREATENING devices off of your hands, free of charge. I will be happy to endanger and threaten myself with bodily harm by testing these SCARY-LOOKING cams and will be happy to let you know the minute one doesn't work.

yelrotflmao.gif

hahahah lmao... well not exactly but I'm glad I ammuse you. I'm not saying that they're life threatening etc. I thought they might be and that's why I contacted the store and BD. Funny thing is MEC didn't laugh like a drunken nut f#@%er like you, instead they pulled every cam off there shelves and contacted BD the same as every other store I went into.

I'm still wondering if I wait for a while if these sloppy cams will dissapear and the shorter axles will replace them on the shelves. It just appears to be really crappy quality with everything sliding around and I don't see how it will help keep the grit from locking the lobes when the axle can still slide to one side and pinch all the moving parts on the other side.

Oh and freak before you laugh yourself off that narrow ledge of sanity that you're standing on you should know that BD just fired two of there assembly line staff for assembling biners incorrectly. I don't know if they caught it before it hit shelves but it caused significantly lower closed strength ratings. Sometimes it happens no matter how great a QC program you have in place.

Edited by scrambled_legs

hahahah lmao... well not exactly but I'm glad I ammuse you. I'm not saying that they're life threatening etc. I thought they might be and that's why I contacted the store and BD. Funny thing is MEC didn't laugh like a drunken nut f#@%er like you, instead they pulled every cam off there shelves and contacted BD the same as every other store I went into.

And that proves what besides retail stores have the sub room temperature IQ we've assumed for years? Get a grip man.

I will email the question to my buddy who is an engineer for BD.

Did your buddy have anything to say about this remark ?

A friend of mine found this problem(?) out after he got some camalots mailed to him. It wasn't just a gap on the axle, the lobes were so out of whack one side wouldn't expand unless pulled outward with force. I would consider this a major design problem if the play on the axle caused the lobes to stick. I believe they were catching on the spring.

I think that's what I'm most concerned about too. If the axle stays centered it allows a slight gap on each side. But the axle doesn't stay centered, it slides back and forth leaving one side pinched and the other with the lobes significantly further out on the axle.

I'd love to see freaks response to his friend who says, hey isn't this pin supposed to be centered in the biner? hahahaha lmao.... if you're unhappy with the biner put it on my rack hahaha.... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifcrazy.gifcry.gif

Edited by scrambled_legs