CRITICAL MASS

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, its where a collection of radical cyclists get together on a designated weeknight, in a downtown area and seriously f^ck up traffic for drivers who are trying to get home to pick up the kids.

I am all for increased awareness of cyclists, being one myself. BUT I am not in favor of the tactics used by Critical Mass. They delight in being disruptive and generally piss off the majority of drivers during an event. How does that help to insure the safety of cyclists on the road?

Because there is percieved safety in numbers, they are agressive both verbally and physically. Maybe here in "polite" Seattle they are not banging on cars stuck in traffic and cussing at the motorists. But I saw a lot of this is SF back in the 90s when Critical Mass started.

thumbs_down.gif Sorry Dave, this group sucks.

I thought the groups I've seen downtown were acting reasonably - but I came across a group that blocked one lane on the Aurora Avenue bridge at rush hour. That didn't seem too smart, or safe, and definetly made more enemies than advocates out of the car commuters.

When your on a bike it seems as if drivers feel like they have a protective bubble around them (with a plate #) and this gives them the reason to want to defeat all other forms of motion around them including walkers. I find it funny if you pass a car thats stuck in traffic they will hunt you down so that they can floor it when they pull up next to you just to let you know they can go faster than you. This type of revenge can take on scarier forms.....but it just seems so silly to the biker....wow.....you beat me.....imagine that....or....wow..... you hit me.....don't you feel better?? There are alot of asshole out there.....and there more apparent when your on a bike.

It's not just you. I have had many folks do some crazy shit while I was on my motorcycle.

training wheels are not an option on a m-cycle, but I sure do get pissed and have done some really mean, childish things back to auto drivers.

Pedestrians get hit on a pretty regular basis. New stoplights go up when that happens in Ballard.

But blocking traffic and shit, I don't know how effective that is. Does CM research any before/after stats in places they demonstrate?

There are alot of asshole out there.....and there more apparent when your on a bike.
So if you can't beat 'em, join 'em (in their behavior)?

Again, the reported behavior seems akin to those on tricycles and devoid of adult ethics.

One definition of adult ethics: to employ the right thing to do, rather than that one has the right to do.

I don't deny that people in cars can be assholes spicoli. The drivers may be speeding past you to show they can go faster, but they may also just be speeding up because the traffic has eased and they are totally unaware of your presence on the road. It is pretty narcisisstic to think that you are the cause of everyone else's behavior (good or bad).

Also, people on bikes can be assholes and can ride in ways that are totally unpredictable to cars.

If you are going to ride in traffic. Pick a line and stick with it. Don't weave in and out of parked cars. Keep your speed constant. Bike defensively assuming that everyone in a car cannot see you and wear a bright yellow green shirt or coat. Use lights if riding at night. Actually stop at stop signs and stop lights. If there is a stop light and you are in traffic, stay with the flow of traffic instead of sliding up the side on the right or left. At busy, dangerous intersections, use the crosswalks... It's pretty common sense how to stay safe while riding a bike.

And if you decide to bike like you own the road and people in cars need to yeild to you, PLEASE sign your organ donor card so someone's life can be saved when you get creamed by a car or truck.

And if you decide to bike like you own the road and people in cars need to yeild to you, PLEASE sign your organ donor card so someone's life can be saved when you get creamed by a car or truck.

thumbs_up.gif

the state drivers manual:

Every bicycle rider has the same rights,

duties, and responsibilities of a motor vehicle driver.

Motorists and riders who don’t obey traffic laws can be

ticketed. All persons who use public roads must understand

state traffic laws and use safe driving habits.

The cops on Capitol Hill hate us. We are dangerous criminals.

Could be worse. Way worse. Move to Boston. Usually in the top five worst cycling cities in the country.

The icing on the cake is that the state decided that it, rather than the insurers, would determine what premium to charge. Net result - no one wants to write policies in MA, there's no competition amongst insurers for consumers, so no one has any incentive to find ways to insure profitably at the lowest rate possible (nor are they allowed to), and one of the many things that make zero difference on my insurance is that fact that I will be commuting by bike - so we're paying over $4000 for worse coverage than we were able to get in WA for under $2000. Sweet.

I think your making assumptions about my point and how I ride a bike. I agree that bikes must obey the law..........i don't feel as if all drivers are out to get me......shit......i grew up in brooklyn and rode a bike there......there you don't screw around....and the drivers will hit you. Here in the NW i belive were all a little more bike friendly...... or at least know that when your in seattle or portland you'll be sharing the road with bikes....are you one of those hiding in your bubble??