Moldy Bladder

Couloir

I discovered a hydration pack in my garage that I had neglected to clean out...about a year ago. yellowsleep.gif It HAD blue PowerAid in it. Now it's a heavy, green syrup. hellno3d.gif

Once I wash this mess out, will running bleach through it be sufficient? I'll take all the components (mouthpiece, hose, etc.) off and wash those seperately. But will the bleach take care of making it sanitary again?

Thanks! wave.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ewww hellno3d.gif

Thanx for sharing.

Camelbak cleaning tips:

http://www.camelbak.com/mil/clean.cfm

Also:

Grime Reacher "is patented oxygenated super soaking and scrubbing cleaner. It will remove grime from all those hard to reach places. If you’re tired of your water bottle tasting like two week old Gatorade® or looking at the year old grime at the bottom of your cooler; put Grime Reacher to work and wash those problems away."

Also

I don't bother with expensibe camelbak products. Instead, I buy a large bottle of generic "listerine" type mouthwash. Kills all kinds of nasties. Then I soak the mouthpiece in a cup filled with mouthwash, and I wash out the bladder and tubing with mouthwash too. Nothing ever grows in there and it always smells nice... and a little minty.

Also for the pack itsself:

As I write this my Camelbak Lobo is sitting next to my desk with the outside caked with body salts from my trail runs yesterday and this morning. I actually have two Camelbaks that I rotate on a daily basis because I was given an additional one (the Lobo) the day after I purchased a MULE.

I know what you mean about the shoulder straps. Whew! I guess if you think about where they're wrapped under for hours on end you figure out that you better get them clean somehow. I wash mine at least once a week, usually on a Sunday after the longest workout of the week.

Go ahead and throw the pack itself (remove the bladder and anything else inside) into to your washing machine. Put the water level at Large even though the pack isn't going to need much water.

Because of the foam padding and all the air inside the pockets the pack is going to want to float. But you want it to sink as much as possible so that it can get clean. So open up all the zippers to allow water to flood in.

I suggest you clip all the buckles together. But they're probably still going to get all tangled in the wash and need a patient sorting out after the cycle is over.

If you really want to get that smell out of the inside of the shoulder straps, then pre-treat them with laundry detergent, add a little water, and scrub the heck out of them with a bristle scrub brush. Scrub until they're foamy and then start your washing machine.

Use the Normal or Regular agitation cycle. Camelbak packs are very rugged. And the more delicate cycles won't do much cleaning.

Throw some old, clean towels into the washer to help the pack get agitated and to weigh it down. Don't use too much laundry detergent. I suggest one of the Liquid No Perfume/No Dye detergents (All Free & Clear, Purex Free). Cold or tepid water. And use any extra rinse cycles available. Nothing worse than getting out a couple of hours on a run or ride and having the pack start to bubble...

DO NOT PUT THE PACK IN THE DRYER!!! The heat will destroy it!

Keep all the zippers and pouches open, hang it up, and let it drip dry, about two hours.

Now that I think about it, it's probably best NOT to dry it in the sun because of the foam padding. When you're out in the sun using the pack the back and shoulder padding are hidden from the sun. And UV is never good for open cell foam. I have a covered patio with a ceiling fan that I hang the pack from. Here in Phoenix it's usually dry in about 15 minutes. Hey, that's about the maximum I can make it between drinks during a workout.

Drink up, my friends. Plain water is great.

But try filling your pack, for your workouts, with Accelerade for better fluid absorbtion, carbs, electrolytes, and a little kick of protein.

But I still recommend washing the pack in plain water...

(all stolen from Coolrunning.com)

I'm not 100% on this but i've done that in the past and haven't had any problems. Just remember not to use straight bleach, instead use a bleach/water mix. Again i'm not sure of a proper ratio but i did some where around 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Finally a hanger with a piece of old rag on it works great for cleaning the tube.

I think you will have an extremely hard time getting it absolutely clean, especially since it actually had mold growing in it. Other than using bleach, I think your best bet would be to fill it about half way full of water, then drop in a couple of Alka Seltzers. (that is basically what you are buying if you buy some of those bladder cleaners at your local gear shop) You'll have the hardest time with cleaning the hose and mouth piece.

Personally I would just toss it and buy a new one, they're relatively cheap and it would be worth not getting sick because there was still some mold spores in there that you sucked down.

Ummm... Are you really attached to this thing? I have tried to clean them and they always end up tasting like friggan bleach for the rest of their lives. Maybe clean the dirty one with bleach or whatever else, but retire it as a whiskey bladder (wont taste the bleach then!) and get a newer, better one for not that much money!

i think you should bottle tha09qjudge and sell it as a "green power food smoothie"

I was waiting for your clever response Dru. Thank you! wave.gif

No, I'm not attached to it. And I will probably throw it out. I'm just the type that if something is still usable, I'll keep using it. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had that much mould in my bladder, but I do get black stuff in the drinking tube if I don't dry it out right away. To clean it out I just use hydrogen peroxide straight (no water). dump it in and let it foam away!! A light scrubbing will loosen up stubborn stains. The best part is once you rinse it out with fresh water it leaves no odor or taste.

Thanks. Here's an update for those that give a fuck. I took the whole thing apart and soaked and flushed it entirely with 1:2 bleach / water solution. Then finished with dish soap. I even boiled the mouth piece in the microwave. Everything turned out great. There is a permanent rusty "burn" where the mold/sludge was, but I can't taste anything funny. But I've used it twice and I'm good to go. bigdrink.gif

Thanks again for the tips! wave.gif