Sad sad Europe

Peter_Puget

Gerhard Schroeder's...Social Democratic Party (SPD) said yesterday it would campaign for a new "tax on the rich." The party's top executive...said its electoral manifesto would include a three-point surcharge, to be added to the top 42 per cent rate of income tax, for anyone earning more than 250,000 Euros. Franz Muentefering, the SPD chairman...made clear it was intended more as a psychological [sic] than as a fiscal step.

June 27 Financial Times

The surcharge is intended to "rally disaffected voters." If you think Bush is bad, what do you think about these guys who are running on a campaign based on schaudenfreude.

Just another reason to "Go west, to the east young man!"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more their loss; they depend on tourism.

And we don't?

It's funny hearing republicans talk about the European economy falling apart. When you mention the structural problems with the American economy they always point to Europe and say "But there's is worse".

Predicating an argument by "If you think Bush is bad..." isn't saying he isn't, it's a passive way of admitting he's a major fuckup and a means to try to divert your attention away from that fact. Translated, for example, "Bush is a major fuckup but how about that Hitler guy,eh? Things could be a lot worse"

Blame China for the falling dollar. They are getting all our dollars but have fixed their currency at a fixed exchange rate. They have to get rid of dollars so they dump them on the Europeans. The Europeans don't want them either, but their currencies are not fixed, so the value of the dollar falls.

Blame China for the falling dollar. They are getting all our dollars but have fixed their currency at a fixed exchange rate. They have to get rid of dollars so they dump them on the Europeans. The Europeans don't want them either, but their currencies are not fixed, so the value of the dollar falls.

I know that you know it is more complex than this.

The dollar is not falling due to China.

And the sky is not falling, either.

Eccleasties 4:1-8

Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun: I saw the tears of the oppressed--and they have no comforter; power was on the side of their oppressors--and they have no comforter. And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive. But better than both is he who has not yet been, who has not seen the evil that is done under the sun. And I saw that all labor and all achievement spring from man's envy of his neighbor. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. The fool folds his hands and ruins himself. Better one handful with tranquility than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind. Again I saw something meaningless under the sun: There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. "For whom am I toiling," he asked, "and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?" This too is meaningless--a miserable business!

Eccleasties 4:1-8

Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun: I saw the tears of the oppressed--and they have no comforter; power was on the side of their oppressors--and they have no comforter. And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive. But better than both is he who has not yet been, who has not seen the evil that is done under the sun. And I saw that all labor and all achievement spring from man's envy of his neighbor. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. The fool folds his hands and ruins himself. Better one handful with tranquility than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind. Again I saw something meaningless under the sun: There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. "For whom am I toiling," he asked, "and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?" This too is meaningless--a miserable business!

Frickin' Five-Star Post, Chaps. I give you two snaps.