Benchmarks for ratings...

RuMR

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh...it could be 5.sketchy"5.8-myass" also...

definitely--by all means add all the adjectives you want. there are many pitches that should be rate "5.8-myass"

i've also climbed 5.wtfmademethinkicouldclimbthis and 5.yeehaw

i forgot 5.gawddammit

Edited by minx

Rumr...do you ever worth? Bench marks for the NW trad cliimbs....I´d call Godzilla a benchmark 5.9+, Moonshile Dihedral 5.9, Slow Children 5.10d, GNS 5.6, Clean Crack 11b, Jap Gardens 11c, GM p1 or Lions Chair 5.8, Split pilar 10b, Easter Overhang 10c, Meat Grinderr or Heart of the Country 10a, Clay 11d. I,m having problems thinkiing of a good 11a benchmark.....

how about the 4th pitch of centerfold for 11a? I'd go for the 2nd pitch of davis-holland for 10a. while i'd second slow children for 10d, those no hands rests might make it problematic as "benchmark". how about zoom instead? or the second pitch of centerfold? that's nice and sustained at the grade.

For sure the 2nd pitch of Davis Holland for 10a! When I think of a lot of PNW roock climbing I tend to think of short cruxes followed by much less sustained climbing or good rests. It doesn´t have the suustained nature of Yosemite.

what forrest said, except maybe for first sentence. the 4th p. of centerfold is no harder than the second, though it's a crack v. face comparison.

the nose at castle rock at 10d might be a benchmark contender, though the business is only like 50'.

the problem with using one climb as a "benchmark rating" is that it leads to grade inflation.

If climb X is "benchmark 10a", sooner or later Joe Crank will put up a new climb, Climb Z, and say that Climb Z is 10b because it is harder than Climb X. Then the existing Climb Y, that was 10b, will be upgraded to 10c because it is harder than Climb Z and so on.

What you really need to know is the easiest and hardest climb at a particular grade. For instance if you know that Orifice Fish is the hardest 5.9 at Squamish and that Arrowroute is the easiest 10b, then you can say that Exasperator p1, being easier than Arrowroute and harder than Orifice Fish, is 10a. Except that O.F. is probably harder than Exasperator p1 yellaf.gif and personally I think Arrowroute is easier than Exasperator too. rolleyes.gif