Sno Co search and rescue sucks, can't save a dog

shapp

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for a Fire department (not Sno) that doesn't do SAR (lost the team in budget cuts) but we still occasionally recue cats out of trees. We try not to do it because more often than not the animal jumps when you get close and the animal gets hurt or killed. We always go though so that a well-meaning bystander doesn't try it and get killed. Sounds like this dog had it's lucky day...

My take is that no one has a "right" to be rescued. The people who do the rescuing are voluntarily risking their own lives and deserve only gratitude. To "expect" them to rescue *you*, let alone your dog, is the height of arrogance.

You have no business in the wilderness if you are not prepared to rescue yourself. Taking an animal to the wilderness means that *you* are responsible for the animal.

People have died rescuing pets. Gratitude is an appropriate response to those who nevertheless undertake such risks voluntarily. To get upset because they choose to value their safety over your pet's safety is, in my opinion, idiocy.

"I demand you risk your life saving my pet" is not merely stupid, it is immoral.

My take is that no one has a "right" to be rescued. The people who do the rescuing are voluntarily risking their own lives and deserve only gratitude. To "expect" them to rescue *you*, let alone your dog, is the height of arrogance.

I agree wholeheartedly. The obligatory corallary to your point is that since no one is obligated to rescue you no-one has the right to dictate your conduct on the oft tossed out grounds that "they are the ones that have to go out and pick up the pieces".

More on the topic I place no judgement whatsoever on others' decisions to participate or not but I'm fully willing to take part in any hound rescues out this way.

Here's a thought- perhaps those individuals that have adequate rope access experience and the willingness to assist in helping Fido could simply contact local management agencies to give contact info in case of such a scenario. A small but dedicated and available group may fill the needed gap. In light of current liability insurance requirements for organizations and public perception of undue risk, a helping hand may be in order. In addition, I think climbers as a group can earn some often needed "karma points" with land use managers in general. Count me in thumbs_up.gif

PS: I like dogs

Here's a thought- perhaps those individuals that have adequate rope access experience and the willingness to assist in helping Fido could simply contact local management agencies to give contact info in case of such a scenario.

I think there are already organizations like this. In the Portland metro Oregon Humane Soceity has a Technical Animal Rescue group:

http://www.oregonhumane.org/telethon/topics.asp#ohstar

'The obligatory corallary to your point is that since no one is obligated to rescue you no-one has the right to dictate your conduct on the oft tossed out grounds that "they are the ones that have to go out and pick up the pieces".'

On that ground alone I'll agree - no they don't. But there are plenty of other grounds on which you may be legitimately criticised for your behaviour in the wilderness. If for example you act in such a way as to degrade the experience for others who follow you roundly deserve all the criticism you might get, in my opinion.

Reading the description of how the rescue happened, I can't shake the idea that this very nearly was a thread about how a generous volunteer died trying to save a dog. At the end of his rope, wrestling with an 80 lb dog, hand over handing it up, and then jumaring with it in a butt bag? Bravo. I'm just glad that this story has a happy ending for all involved, it seems like the least likely outcome.