Sno Co search and rescue sucks, can't save a dog

shapp

Congradulations to the CC.comer who got a call on sunday night and went up to Wallace falls early in the morning yesterday and single handedly recued the dog that fell over 100 feet down a cliff to a ledge. The Snohomish County Search and Rescue wouldn't do it, the cops, fire department, parks department all would do nothing to save a boys dog that fell down the cliff. From what I understand it was clear from the top of the cliff that the dog had survived and was safely on a ledge.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine mentioned a guy being stranded on a ledge on Pugh for several days and then being rescued. Never saw or heard anything about in the news. Weird how they pick and choose which stories to publicize in the media. We were up there a week before the incident.

... Weird how they pick and choose which stories to publicize in the media. ...

It IS interesting how rescues play out, or don't, in the media. There are a lot of rescues that never get media attention. I've often wondered if there is some intial contact between the media and rescue coordinators asking for "permission" to cover a rescue. Sometimes, the situation might be a little politically sensitive for mass consumption. Do any of our news-working lurkers have any insight?

Hats off to all the Search & Rescue/Mountain Rescue folks out there. While the emotional attachment to pets can be just as strong for some people as for kids, the folks putting it on the line need to draw the line somewhere. Fireman stopped rescuing kitties from trees looooooong ago.

-kurt

Yeah you're probably right. They made the right decision in leaving the dog to starve on the ledge.

Sno Co made the decision to cut their budget so they can't afford to rescue dogs. Perhaps you'll pay more taxes so they can increase the budget?

Yeah you're probably right. They made the right decision in leaving the dog to starve on the ledge.

how would you feel if your child/father/brother/wife was in need of rescue but the SAR group was unavailable because they were out rescuing someone's dog? this group was not set up to save animals. i'm not saying animals don't deserve to be saved, but look at the bigger picture. in the end, the precious dog got saved and the guy who did it deserves praise ... but that doesn't mean you have to go knocking everybody else in the world who didn't. and you certainly don't need to go knocking an all-volunteer organization that could some day save YOUR ass.

I happened to be the guy who called the “hero” on Sunday night. The Parks Dept called me around 9pm and asked for help in rescuing the dog. The Parks epartment did not feel it had the technical skills needed to perform the rescue. After being turned down by other groups they called me. I was not able to get out in the morning but said I would make a few calls. The ranger gave me his home phone number and when I asked how late I could call he responded, “as late as you want.” The Parks Department clearly was trying their best to get the dog rescued safely. I say thumbs up to the hero and thumbs up the Parks guys! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Edited by DCramer

TLG,

Bottom line is that more people own dogs within the City of Seattle than have children (based on the City's stats), so a lot of people out there should be aware that if something happens to your animal you will be very lucky to have it rescued by anyone.

Based on this incident the family was extremely lucky to find anyone to rescue the dog in time to save its life.

BTW, I know a lot of dogs that I would rescue first before some people I know.

Another issue is will the dog be cooperative. I was talking to a firefighter the other day who was telling me about a time when they went to rescue a kitten from a tree, and as he, riding in the bucket, got close to the kitten, the kitten JUMPED! Being a kitten, it bounded down the tree apparently unharmed.