3 O'clock Rock Questions

MCash

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just left of Silent Running is a 5 pitch route called Revolver...

5.8+, 5.8, 5.9+, 5.8, 5.10a

(according to David Whitelaw's guide)

Right of Total Soul (and joining after 4 pitches) is Penny Lane ...

5.7, 5.8, 5.10a, 5.10b/c

(according to David Whitelaw's guide)

The folks at the trading post in Darringont have a photocopy of the original and out of print Whitelaw guide. For the cost of the photocopies they will print you off a copy. It's missing a lot of the new routes but has all of the old classics. The gear rec's are a little out of date as well, telling what sized nuts and pitons to bring on every climb. "No school like the old school."

I'm not down on that guide (quite the opposite, in fact), but I would say that those pages will do little more than get you lost at this point. "The old classics" are mostly not as they were shown, both because of inaccuracies in the original guidebook as well as because the routes have changed through subsuequent redevelopment and, in some cases, massive rockfall. Even the approach information in that old guide will quickly help you get lost.

It'd be a good idea, perhaps, to set them up with some more modern information.

The kiosk will only be manned during the summer months and then only on weekends and holidays. Personally I think the opportunity to buy a cold drink and a snack near the base will totally rock. I just hope that it is available to hide from the rain when is not staffed.

I was fully joking with my earlier response. I think the term "kiosk" is being used loosely. I believe it is closer to a small structure for a b board at the trailhead.

Matt would certainly have more details.

EDIT:( from the WCC site) The kiosk is going to be one of those heavy-duty wooden signboards with a picnic-shelter overhang on top. It'll house signs about low trace climbing, wilderness regulations, and an informational poster about the goat counting project being undertaken by the Sauk-Suiattle tribe.

Edited by Peter_Puget

Will there be a hubcap hanging on the kiosk, so as not to contradict current approach descriptions?

climber 1: "The guide doesn't say anything about a bulletin board thingy. I think we should keep driving."

climber 2: "What about a kiosk? Does it say anything about a kiosk?"