Trad climbing stick clip?

chucK

So here's the deal.

When climbing Breakfast of Champions at Index, before starting to climb I hang out from that tree just above the start and plug in a cam for my first piece of pro. The piece is much higher than I could reach from the base of the crack proper. Then I climb from the usual base of the crack, without utilizing the tree for upward progress.

Is this the trad-climbing analogy of stick-clipping?

Have I lost your respect for habitually performing this tactic?

fruit.gifwave.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before reading your post I was imagining that you had invented a pole-mounted device for placing cams. It would have a string for retracting the lobes. You'd use a pair of binoculars to make sure you had a good placement, etc. Here's an opportunity for a clever guy like Bill_Simpkins to patent another new invention.

i have to say im gulty of this somtimes but only when there is like 10-20 ft of face climg to the crack or what not, i think it is a waste of time for BOF considering its a pefectly clean fall weather or not ur piece is at the bottom or 10 ft up. i ussally stem over to the ledge on the rt side of the crack and plug in a piece there before tackleing the crack but what ever works, as long as you don't pull on the gear, its should still be considered freed

Is this the trad-climbing analogy of stick-clipping?

Yes

Have I lost your respect for habitually performing this tactic?

No, but don't say you've done the route as it was meant to be done and as laid out by the FA.

But that's just my opinion....

On the first ascent, Foraker, they used the tree not only to place pro, but actually to climb the route. I believe it was done that way for years and, if memory serves me correct, it was Julie Brugger and Carla Firey who first climbed it without using the tree.

On the first ascent, Foraker, they used the tree not only to place pro, but actually to climb the route. I believe it was done that way for years and, if memory serves me correct, it was Julie Brugger and Carla Firey who first climbed it without using the tree.

In that case, I'd say it's ok. Of course, I don't want to make myself sound like the arbiter of climbing ethics, I certainly am not. It's just my opinion.