Enchantment Lakes....too early??

Kitergal

Hey, wondering what you guys think about doing the Enchantments this weekend? Think it's too early? Think I'll still need to bring snowshoes, and plan on camping on snow and the likes? Think it will be crowded since it's a holiday weekend, or do ya think it's early enough in the season that it shouldn't be? Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet!! and you don't think it's too early in the season??

Is sleeping at the trail head Thursday night, hitting the trail early Friday...with the plan to be back home Monday afternoon enough time for the Snow lakes in, and Aasgard out route...or will I need more time??

Is finding the trail to Aasgard (out) going to be too difficult?

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Love ya!!

-M

I'm heading up there tonight! I'll let ya know about it when I get back on Monday!!

The ranger station did say that there was a landslide on the snowlakes trail, which needs "serious" manipulating...they said plan on an extra hour +. That seems a bit much to me...but like I said..I'll find out this weekend.

We're gonna do the exact opposite, Snow Lakes in and Aasgard out!

-M

The real key is how much snow and nobody has weighed in on that yet. I suspect it won't be crowded as many may not be tuned in to the special opportunity provided by low snowpack this year. Aasgard and some of the basin travel in early season will require some care. Prusik climbs should be in fine shape but expect snow and slop on the north side descent.

Get up there and let us know about the conditions. wave.gif

in Aasgard and out Snow lakes in two days? that's hoofin it pretty good. Memorial weekend, you should expect to see other parties for sure. Take at least three days if you want to enjoy Prussik. I have not been there this year but I think you can count on plenty of snow and frozen lakes. Have fun in the sun! yelrotflmao.gif

Today we went up to snow creek wall and rap bolted the two upper pitches of outer space to make sure its safer for future generations. On approach we saw the biggest rattlesnake I have ever seen. The thing was frikein huge. We were walking really fast so it scared me as much as I scared it, it was pissed. Maybe Cook will post a pic?

I also heard a big slide came down across the trail, talked to a couple of people who turned around because of it, though they didn't exactly look like the climbing type.

What a freak'in awesome trip! we did the snow lakes trail in, and then aasgard pass out. Saw the slide area, there's already a decent trail across it. not a big deal, but yes, there was definately a slide, about 5 miles in on the snow lakes trail.

no snow until lake vivian, once you get to the upper lakes, lots of snow. most of the upper lakes were still covered, but melting around the inflow/outflows.

aasgard pass was a beeeeaaooocchh! Not anywhere near enough snow to glissade down so your fighting with scree the entire way down...sucked big time.

Up in the enchantments area...right below lk. vivian, and up through the upper lakes we were stocked by a mt. goat and her family. (3 babies). They followed us everywhere....got a little too close for comfort...they're not dangerous right? Like I don't know what the deal was but they were AWESOME!! Just when we thought they got bored of following us...we'd turn around to see them right on our tail again. We'd wake up with them outside our tent, etc. pretty crazy stuff!

crowds..not at all. Had to worry about the Mt. Goat traffic more than the human traffic. IT WAS AWESOME!!

Marie, the goats are seeking salt and are legendary for their tenacity in doing so. blush.gif I suspect that the early season and lack of other visitors made your group a target. I think there have been a few cases of aggressiveness but some people might not be real smart about it since they seem so tame.

Yeah the goats are just waiting for you to whizz so they can have a little salt lick. I spent a night just below Goat Pass on the shoulder of Stuart and a pair of goats kept walking past our camp all night. Fairly annoying. I've never encountered them being aggressive, they seem fairly acclimated to and tolerant of humans.