Another Clusterf*ck on OS Sunday

tomtom

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

being slow doesn't mean you have to be a dumb ass dick and block everyone behind. and learning to climb is also learning when to bail.

hellno3d.gif they completed the climb and did not need to bail. maybe people like you shouldn't be such a dumb ass dick by climbing routes that are so beneath your grade that they are not challenging enough to teach you a thing or two. wave.gif

So here's the plan for memorial day weekend, when we all know there will be humongous crowds in leavenworth. I am going to go climb Outerspace. If you think things have been slow so far, you ain't seen nothing yet. I plan on solo-aiding the whole thing above 2 tree ledge, yep even those great hand cracks. I figure if I get started by 7am, I might be able to finish by 7pm. Oh, I will also do my best to make it impossible to pass me..

ahhh, just think of the spray to be had after the weekend is over. smile.gif

Well, let's see how many new & original posts we can lure out with this new & oringal topic.

CC.COM: Never hestitate to belabor the obvious

awww squidly, knock it off. this is cc.com and we respect everyone's right to say the same thing 50 different ways over and over. come on embrace this charming cc.com trait. afterall nothing says fun like beating a dead horse wave.giffruit.gif

Well, let's see how many new & original posts we can lure out with this new & oringal topic.

CC.COM: Never hestitate to belabor the obvious

awww squidly, knock it off. this is cc.com and we respect everyone's right to say the same thing 50 different ways over and over. come on embrace this charming cc.com trait. afterall nothing says fun like beating a dead horse wave.giffruit.gif

It not just a cccommie thing, it is just being a climber. 'Hmm let's see how many different ways I can climb this piece of rock.'

So any way some of your responses are so damn defensive, it is funny. Let's beat this horse a little more. Being slow isn't a bad thing, nor is pushing yourself, nor climbing an easier route if you are a hardman or hardwoman, nor climbing fast. Shit were not all going to climb the same way, this topic is just about having a little respect and courtesy when you are out there at the crag. Days when I am climbing slow I have no problem turning it over to the party below if they are riding my ass. I know what it can be like when you have a plan in your mind, like seeing how fast you can get up the route, or trying several routes in a day, or what ever the hair up the ass du jour is. I just let them go by, it sort of like driving really slow in the fast..........., oh shit, I forgot this web board is in Washington, any way in the rest of the country if you are driving slower than the rest of the traffic, you usually pull over to the right and let the faster drivers by. The same thing can work in climbing too. I swear I am not lying, it really does work.

Likewise if you are riding someone ass, you can ask to pass or just go by when given the opportunity, hey just like in driving too. rolleyes.gif Oh Washintonian explanation, in the rest of the world if you come up on someone slower than you, you can give them a toot on the horn or flash the lights really quick (the equivalent to asking) nobody usually gets to bent, they pull over when they get a chance. Or you just pass when it is safe, again most people are fine with that. And you could pass whenever, even when it is not safe, this is if you are a dick or an African driver, but that is another story.

Being slow isn't a bad thing, nor is pushing yourself, nor climbing an easier route if you are a hardman or hardwoman, nor climbing fast. Shit were not all going to climb the same way, this topic is just about having a little respect and courtesy when you are out there at the crag.

well put! happy15.gif

All I have to say is the early bird gets the worm. You should be smart enough to know that if you try to jump on one of the most classic, moderate routes in Washington on a weekend then unless you wake up at the crack of dawn you'll be behind a lot of people and some that will be slow. Maybe if your cool then you can pass, but I would not expect it. I hate to be behind slow parties as well, but just wait until you are the slow ones then you will understand.

All this back-patting is BS.

If your going to climb one of the most popular and classic 5.9's in the state, particularly if your going to do it on a weekend you should be a competent 5.9 climber. Is that so much to ask?

By getting on the route full-well knowing you're going to be slow you're negatively impacting the experience of the all the competent climbers who will get stuck sitting on ledges for half the day.

Why not climb the route when you ready for it and can do it in good style. There are plenty of other climbs on which to hone you technique or "work out the kinks". Did these guys who aid-sieged the crux pitch two weekends ago really have as positive experience as they could have? Going home with a story of yarding on gear, botching pitches and bottling up the route can't make one feel good about themselves. A few more weeks of dedicated training on other crags would have improved the experience for everyone that weekend.

IMO - slow climbers on OS on a weekend suck ballz --

As for rating OS is a relatively soft 5.9 by pre-sport Leavenworth standards.

By getting on the route full-well knowing you're going to be slow you're negatively impacting the experience of the all the competent climbers who will get stuck sitting on ledges for half the day.

i do agree that you should not climb a route that you do not think you're ready for, but "slow" is relative. most people don't plan to go any slower than they normally climb - which to other people might seem slow no matter what (and those people should full well know that not everybody climbs as fast as they do and plan accordingly). shit happens. tongue.gif