Oregon Spring Ski-In 5/27-5/29

gapertimmy

Since the ski-in up north was unfortunately rained out, I've decided to schedule a pilgrimage to Green Lakes over the holiday weekend for some corn fed fun.

This will obviously be quite different than the WA Ski-In, as it is a true ski-in, camp out in the Green Lakes Basin. Fantastic ski lines abound in the area on South Sister, Brokentop, and even the SE ridge of Middle could be schralped in longer day trip.

If you are interested post to the thread or send me a PM.

-Timmay

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its about a 4.5->5 mile skin into the basin. not a ton of elevation gain from the green lakes trailhead so it should be pretty easy for snow travelers of all skill levels.

i'd be willing to porter in some party favors if we get a good crew going... also, we can have an apres bbq at casa de gaper on sunday evening.

little bit of a bump with some stoke for good snow:

Today: Occasional rain in the morning...then occasional showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Snow level 6500 feet. Pass winds south to southwest 15 to 25 mph.

Tonight: Showers likely. A slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening. Breezy. Snow level 6000 feet lowering to 5500 feet after midnight with 1 to 2 inches of new snow. Pass winds south to southwest 15 to 25 mph.

Thursday: A chance of showers in the morning...then showers likely in the afternoon. Snow level 5000 feet. Pass winds southwest 10 to 20 mph.

Thursday night: Showers likely. Snow level 4500 feet. Pass winds southwest 5 to 10 mph.

Friday: Showers in the morning...then showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Snow level 4500 feet. Pass winds southwest 10 to 15 mph.

Friday night: Showers likely in the evening...then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Snow level 4500 feet.

Saturday: Partly sunny. Free air freezing level 11000 feet.

Saturday night: Partly cloudy. Free air freezing level 15000 feet.

Sunday: Partly sunny. Free air freezing level 15000 feet.

Sunday night: Partly cloudy. Free air freezing level 15000 feet.

Monday: Partly sunny. Free air freezing level 15000 feet.

Monday night: Partly cloudy. Free air freezing level 14000 feet.

Tuesday: Partly sunny. Free air freezing level 13000 feet.

I'm thinking with a good week of freeze thaw during m-f of next week, things should be getting fairly solid up in the sisters. most definately East/North East slopes are quite loaded right now from the past week of storms, and the freezing level has kept things cool above 7000'. But I think things will get toasted up and refrozen nicely, and a fantastic crop of central oregon corn will be ripe for the pikin next weekend.

*bumP*

lets get roll call going folks. so far i've gotten word that the following folks will be in the area for some spring ski in love:

gapertimmy

gaperbecky

ducktherope

jlag *maybe*

camillo + gang

i'll be posting a tr with some stokalicous picts from today that might make some peeps want to come down and check it out. the corn is dammmmmmn fine, best its been all spring.

ok a few questions:

1) there was a avalanche on one of the sisters, what is the likelyhood of another one this weekend?

2) i suck at skiing somone mentioned all levels would be ok, honestly i only skied once about 14yrs ago, will i die?

3) i need size 10.5- 11 boots any one got some?

finally) anyone else want to carpool from washington?

you guys are going to have a great time Jeffy, post some pics when you get back.

wirlwind-

1)indeed there was a slide in the area last sunday. I have since been traveling in the area and can say that the freeze thaw cycle this week has substantially firmed up the 8" of snow we recieved over a week ago. Travel/conditions should be fairly solid. I'd still reccomend not being high up on any volcano very late on a hot day.

2)there is all levels of skiing to be had in the area, if anything you can come out and hang out and climb brokentop or south sister.

FKNA! This is going to be a good weekend. Weather is looking perfect for freeze/thaw, and some of the sickest of all cc.com plabby's will be in attendance.

SOME DETAILS:

I'm personally planning on heading up eeearrrrly Friday AM, if someone(s) would like to hike in with me that would be awesome, email me if you are interested tcrawford/at/mtbachelor/com

TRAILHEAD/APPROACH:

The best way to access Green Lakes is via the Green Lakes Fall Creek trailhead. The trail head is located across the Cascade Lakes HWY from Sparks Lake.... signed very well, hard to miss.

The trail is snow covered after 1/2 a mile, so skins/snowshoes would really make travel much easier. The trail is heavily traveled from last weekend so there is a solid bootpack/skintrack all the way to the basin.

Allow 2.5->3 hours for the hike in, not a ton of elevation gain, but its going to be warm.

CAMPING:

I imagine there will be quite a few folks in the area this weekend, so normal spots around the lakes will be crowded. I'm planning on camping higher up on the Brokentop Side around treeline:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&...amp;layer=DRG25

461773-3113btop2.jpg

The lakes aren't fully melted out yet, so plan on boiling water. Fall creek is flowing so I suppose one could filter water from there, and some of the small streams off Brokentop should be flowing as well, so that route can be taken too.

PLAN:

Slogging up snow covered volcanos, rip gnar corn. Repeat. Perhaps everyone could bring a beverage so we could have a nice little bar out there too.

I'm planning to head back out on Sunday, but i know a few of the folks are going to stay out Sunday night as well (I might have to do the same, but I really want to road trip down to Southern OR to get some on Monday/Tuesday).

Don't hesitate to email/PM with any ?'s

461773-3113btop2.jpg.ede96905821614283fe3bffbb1712cc6.jpg

Edited by gapertimmy

That's good camping up on the bench you describe, Timmy, but there is also a magnificant knoll about a mile before the lake that makes an excellent campspot with a panoramic view. It is marked "6450" on the 7.5 minute map, and is just north of Corral Lake. If your dogs are hauling folding chairs and other bulky luggage up there, it is a little easier trip. I think it may also be more convenient to the standard S. Side route on S. Sister, though there is an excellent route up the E. flank of the peak from just beyond the far end of Green Lake where you get three good long runs with some short climbing traversses between them for the descent.

Sounds good. Shorter approach = more alcohol. I'll be bringing Pisco and Coke. And limes. And since I'm waiting for a friend to come down from Seattle Friday night, we might be leaving at 5am on Sat. morning so we'd see you guys around noon.