Pipe(line) Dream

inacan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my last hike up to the Squaw we found an 8" long 2x6 already drilled with a tape sling. It looked sketchy but got me to thinking maybe a very short piece of 3 or 4" steel pipe cut like a crown with three points on one side might work to extend the cam. But the cam would have to be retracted far enough to contact the pipe in four places which may make the pipe too long to be stable. Pipeline is such a beautiful looking line I wish you well.

Back then, i think most people that actually climbed were by and large much more confident/secure/ and stable in ow and squeeze action than today...in fact OW were sought out as a reliable weakness to follow...he probably figured he could just downclimb it...

I remember talking to bridwell at the base of ElCap and how he was saying that back then, all ow were basically solos and he specifically described Sachar's ascent of Ahab...and Pratt (I think?) on Twilight Zone...that was just the way it was done back then and i don't think Cameron had any different/special mindset than the valley guys did...

i'm glad that i climb in the "cam-era"...i would not have climbed back then, i think...my nutz are totally insufficient for that stuff!!!! ooo.gifcrazy.gif

DarrylC...what are your thoughts on this? Being an ex-cali lad and all...

you can not train for this stuff in the gyms... yellaf.gif

Good points RuMR- lots of wide stuff got done in the old school way (i.e. little pro) and routes like Twilight Zone at Yos and Crack of Fear in CO and stuff at Veadouwoo were stout tests also. And fingers of steel trained at the gym won't help with those hand stacks and chicken wings!

maybe you've already seen this, but do a google search for: pipeline and squamish and climbing. you'll find a website of a squamish locals quest to climb that route. i've thought about emailing the guy and asking to borrow the big gear he invested in for the climb. it's worth a try. an another note, the czech guy who owns the climb on in squish (i think his name is george) says that the 2x6 cam deal will work (i think i remember something about a leader fall onto it). he's given me good beta in the past. if ya need another wc #6 give jshamster a PM. good luck.