[TR] Christian Brothers traverse- 5/7/2005

skyclimb

Thanks for the reasonable responses, Cobra Commander dude.

I was not trying to denegrate your accomplishment on the route

at all, simply giving folks a heads up about the objective dangers

they may cause for others in a crowded climbing area. I myself probably

wouldn't have thought about it before embarking on the traverse,

so I thought it might be a good idea to mention it for future parties.

As for the kitty litter sized rocks... yes, dozens of them were that size,

but there were several golf ball size rocks as well, one of which

missed my wifes head by about 18 inches as she belayed her sister.

I think that's significant enough to mention to other climbers, regardless

of whether I know you or not, or whether I post rarely or frequently

on this message board.

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on this message board.

Thanks,

Mike

i was pretty sure that is why we were SUPOSED to wear helmets when we climb... I have had glof ball sized rocks come off at the collums on well climbed routes. if you are standing under a climb... you are at ground zero. if you are concerned wear your brain bucket.

on this message board.

Thanks,

Mike

i was pretty sure that is why we were SUPOSED to wear helmets when we climb... I have had glof ball sized rocks come off at the collums on well climbed routes. if you are standing under a climb... you are at ground zero. if you are concerned wear your brain bucket.

climbing is dangerous no matter what your doing, clipping bolts at smith or strung out on A5 on baffin island. its not so much up to other people to make it safer, but up to yourself. bigdrink.gif

Not to name names but I do recall a certain person giving me shit for carrying a helmet in that morning for the workday. I'll carry my brain bucket over a stick clip any day, never hurts to have when someone might be climbing above you. Anyway good climb Nick. Hope you like the Zebra Zion photos.

Yeah you're right, those kids on bunnyface really should just suck it up when the stones start to fall.

What's wrong with children wearing helmets, too? I see kids wearing helmets on a daily basis while riding their bikes.

Good climb, Nick. That one's on my list. I think the exposure might be a bit much for the g/f to follow me on it, after rereading the original post cantfocus.gif

You're right, of course, kids should put on the helmets and take the shelling, because people can climb whatever they want, whenever they want.

Yup, fact of life, brother. Just because it's Smith, doesn't mean that it's totally immune of objective danger.

I'm not sure the point is clear here. Set aside the "objective danger" concept for a second. Even if everyone in the most popular area of the park wore helmets, do you think they would want to stick around in a rain of pea gravel? And if you do consider the rockfall hazard, do you think a helmet would even help if the odd baseball-sized piece came down from up there? Is it so unreasonable to at least show some consideration, and maybe hold off until the park is less crowded? That's all.

The two who did this climb seem like really cool people, genuinely good people with no intentions of harm. The climbs skyclimb has reported on have been inspiring and cool, as is this one. It's great to see the climbs being done, and the fun that has been had in the spirit of adventure. Unfortunately, they now see some people were a little ticked by the timing and location of this last one, and perhaps in the future they will not do it on a busy Spring weekend, or at least consider that fact before setting off.

But after all this, to just say f'em all I'm gonna have my fun this sunny weekend, even if there's a convention down there, well that seems inconsiderate. To suggest that a helmet should be worn at all times within say 100 feet of the walls strikes me as a bit disingenuous, even if ultimately, it would be the safest option. The fact is, there will be people down there w/o helmets on, and even if they wore them, no one likes rocks thrown at them, of any size. But maybe that's just me.

You're right, of course, kids should put on the helmets and take the shelling, because people can climb whatever they want, whenever they want.

Yup, fact of life, brother. Just because it's Smith, doesn't mean that it's totally immune of objective danger.

Total load of bullshit. You go unnecessarily knocking rocks on people, and make no mistake about it, you are the asshole, period. And maybe Dr. Flash Amazing is mistaken (not likely, of course), but doesn't objective danger stem from the environment or other factors out of the control of humans? So, like, if the Churning Buttress fell on 50 people gaping at someone dogging their proj, that'd be objective danger. Pigeon attack at the top of Vomit Launch; objective. Spontaneous nubbin failure on BBQ the Pope; objective. Louts dumping choss on your head; poor choice on their part.

Being a gravel-dumping chosstronaut above a popular zone on a busy day at Smith is not cool. thumbs_down.gif

Whoa. Didn't mean to open such a can of worms by reporting the events from below

(both what came from the sky and what came from the girlfriend).

I now pack my helmet more often at Smith in case of objective or subjective dangers.

Let's just all try and be more considerate of our fellow climbers from now on, shall we? bigdrink.gif

Thanks.

The Good Doctor has spoken. Long live DFA.

Total load of bullshit. You go unnecessarily knocking rocks on people, and make no mistake about it, you are the asshole, period. And maybe Dr. Flash Amazing is mistaken (not likely, of course), but doesn't objective danger stem from the environment or other factors out of the control of humans? So, like, if the Churning Buttress fell on 50 people gaping at someone dogging their proj, that'd be objective danger. Pigeon attack at the top of Vomit Launch; objective. Spontaneous nubbin failure on BBQ the Pope; objective. Louts dumping choss on your head; poor choice on their part.

Being a gravel-dumping chosstronaut above a popular zone on a busy day at Smith is not cool. thumbs_down.gif

I've seen C.C.'s post, and the great DFA's posts, and put that way, I see where you're coming from.

On the Christian Brothers traverse, with that said, would it be obvious from the getgo that you would be dumping choss on the people below you? If not, I don't know if you could call them an asshole. Just, uh, unknowing...

Whats makes this guy so great? What sort of credentials does some anonymous "Dr." of sport climbing have that makes him always so right? Your an asshole with your ego DFA "And maybe Dr. Flash Amazing is mistaken (not likely, of course)", go clip your bolts and cry about my good friends being assholes. I'm sick of reading all of your posts in 3rd person where you talk as if your always right, and the know it all of the climbing community(I guess mainly just cascadesprayers.com). I personaly feel its fuckin lame and bullshit. Just write some normal shit instead of trying to hide yourself to hype up your identity. the_finger.gif

Whats makes this guy so great? What sort of credentials does some anonymous "Dr." of sport climbing have that makes him always so right? Your an asshole with your ego DFA "And maybe Dr. Flash Amazing is mistaken (not likely, of course)", go clip your bolts and cry about my good friends being assholes. I'm sick of reading all of your posts in 3rd person where you talk as if your always right, and the know it all of the climbing community(I guess mainly just cascadesprayers.com). I personaly feel its fuckin lame and bullshit. Just write some normal shit instead of trying to hide yourself to hype up your identity. the_finger.gif

To answer the question of what makes Dr. Flash Amazing so great, well, as they say: if you have to ask, you'll never know, bro. Bummer! frown.gif

As for the rest of your tragically impotent puling, perhaps you are somewhat correct (not entirely correct, though, so don't get your hopes up). It's not really that these folks innocently headed up on an adventure climb at the SmithPark and accidentally treated the sportoid masses below to a pebble shower; acting like it's no big deal, however, and saying that it's other people's problem to not get rocks on the head? That smacks of at least as heavy a dose of ego as you ascribe to DFA. Perhaps if people would just admit they may have made a mistake and not act like they are immune to taking responsibility, the Doctor would not have passed judgment so harshly.

It's obviously too late to do anything about it, and at least we can be thankful that no one really got hurt, so let's all get along from now on, 'kay? wave.gif

I've seen C.C.'s post, and the great DFA's posts, and put that way, I see where you're coming from.

On the Christian Brothers traverse, with that said, would it be obvious from the getgo that you would be dumping choss on the people below you? If not, I don't know if you could call them an asshole. Just, uh, unknowing...

Yeah, perhaps you're right. DFA is not above admitting wrongdoing, and perhaps the claws came out a bit too soon this time. A thousand pardons for issuing such hasty condemnation!

Whats makes this guy so great? What sort of credentials does some anonymous "Dr." of sport climbing have that makes him always so right?

Have you been quoted in a nationally published climbing periodical lately? Not to mention that he's simply

a hell of a lot funnier than you. So perhaps we all ought to simply have a good laugh about it and let it go, eh? Then

next time you're climbing above someone, keep an eye on whether or not you or your rope are kicking rocks on folks.

And Doctor, perhaps we should leave the expletives to those who know him best. yellaf.gif