Help! soggy guidebooks...ruined?

luwayo

not just 2, but 4! mad.gif

dumb-dumb had em in her duffle bag with the water bottle...that was saturday. squamish select sufferred the most; and the semi-dried pages are stuck seemingly beyond hope. matt gunn's scrambles book is made of better quality stuff though equally as saturated, no unwelcome print was imparted on its facing pages. any helpful suggestions?

Edited by luwayo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not just 2, but 4! mad.gif

dumb-dumb had em in her duffle bag with the water bottle...that was saturday. squamish select sufferred the most; and the semi-dried pages are stuck seemingly beyond hope. matt gunn's scrambles book is made of better quality stuff though equally as saturated, no unwelcome print was imparted on its facing pages. any helpful suggestions?

It may be fortunate that the Squamish Select book is ruined. View this as good luck.

the GLOSSY pages are working against me & the print wants to interface in perpetuity, here & there. it had been suggested to me that valuable documents that become damp can be frozen, and that the freezer presumably freezes the pages out separately...in a dry environment. p'haps i didn't give it enuf time.

so Bill...not that i know why, but err sure! i'll take it as good luck then.

the GLOSSY pages are working against me & the print wants to interface in perpetuity, here & there. it had been suggested to me that valuable documents that become damp can be frozen, and that the freezer presumably freezes the pages out separately...in a dry environment. p'haps i didn't give it enuf time.

Freeze dried guidebooks, now here's a market! 1/2 the weight! Just add water...

I know that when waterproof river guidebooks get wet and the pages stick together all you need to do is re-wet them and they come apart. Then be careful to thumb the pages often as it dries out. Never bothered with regular paper books though. Could be worth a try, if you are desperate.

Or you could just put them in the oven and set the oven to 451 degrees F... fruit.gif

I know that when waterproof river guidebooks get wet and the pages stick together all you need to do is re-wet them and they come apart. Then be careful to thumb the pages often as it dries out. Never bothered with regular paper books though. Could be worth a try, if you are desperate.

Or you could just put them in the oven and set the oven to 451 degrees F... fruit.gif

Listen to Griz. You can try steaming the pages apart by suspending the book over a pot of boiling water. Once the pages are unstuck, get a roll of paper towels and put a towel between each and every page and put the book in a warm place to dry.

That book totally blows, IMO.

If you are a boulderer, it may be alright.