French Free Equivalent

telemarker

Three of us were out cragging in the Icicle the other week. We were gunning for a 20 pitch day (ended up with 13)and our rules were we would french free through cruxes for time's sake. My buddy Randy and I were talking as I was belaying my friend (to remain anonymous)up Off Duty as he was yarding his way through. We were wondering what the French Free equivalent was in other sports. In hoops, if I couldn't drive by you, I would simply pick up the rock and start running to the hoop, or in Soccer, everyone can use their hands at any time.

Why is French Free an acceptable form of "bending the rules" in climbing, yet in other sports it's strictly forbidden to french free your way to a monster dunk?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fat skis

and who said that french free is acceptable?

Well, apparently those who credit Hans Florine with the speed record on The Nose think it's acceptable, or the Hubers for their speed ascent of Zodiac think it's okay. I just think it's odd that if Ray Allen could average 60 ppg by choosing not to dribble the basketball, he wouldn't be credited with breaking any single season scoring records. He simply wouldn't be allowed to play the game until he adhered to the ethics of basketball.

I think if french free is okay in some situations (i.e., bigwall speed ascents) then it's okay in any situation. Yard away, man! Hangdogging and futzing are what's unacceptable.

Why is French Free an acceptable form of "bending the rules" in climbing, yet in other sports it's strictly forbidden to french free your way to a monster dunk?

There are no rules aside from ethics regarding environmental impact. Even then, you can screw the rules if you're elitist enough. Just don't lie about your style.

Those guys are speed climbing big walls.... not 10a slab climbs.

how do you aid 10a slab climbs? with suction cups? smirk.gif

You don't, you run them out...

French Freeing (A0- [my minus sign]) is aid as was said; when speed climbing in the valley all bets are off and getting up the rock is what it's about. Texplorer here has done a one day ascent of the Nose - ask him about it. Such an ascent is quite a different beast from Lynn Hill and Brooke Sandahl freeing the Nose...

Equivalents? Surfing with a tow in less than very large waves comes to mind...

Telemarker was honest about his ascents and french free doesnt add more fixed pro to the climb. In other words it doesnt affect any other climber but him. Having yarded my way up the NoseIAD and SalatheIAD (different days) I guess I suck because of the style. Funny thing is though, I think the guys throwing shit bags off kind of sucked. If you want to learn to climb things fast, it is probably really good practice to go out on harder things than you can climb and climb them as fast as possible. How many of you stylists have ALWAYS bailed on a climb cuz you couldnt do one move near a piece? If you have then I applaud your style.

Plastic telemark boots are aid.....

other sport equivalents:

dr. rene richards getting a sex change operation and playing women's tennis.

mike tyson biting someone's ear off.

steroids.

winning olympic snowboard medal and testing for pot (arguable).

catamarans in the america's cup.

ari parsigian.

steroids

catamarans in the america's cup

wow, now those are good examples!

Here is more french free, along the same vein

corked bats

heel spurs and using leashes on ice tools

all wheel drive vehicles in world rally

parapente off the top after you send Everest (Jean-Marc Boivin, french!!)