Smith Rock Spring Thing - May 7th

Mike_G

Mark your calendars for the 13th annual Smith Rock Spring Thing: Saturday, May 7th . Join your friends and fellow climbers for a day of hard work to make Smith a better place to climb, hike and habitate!

We'll spend the morning and early afternoon of May 7th working on restoration, building, and clean-up projects, then party into the night with a taco (and bigdrink.gif) feast, slide show, and the classic auction and raffle. Schwag included.

Projects include:

Go Dog Go Area - build rock ledges and install stair cases similar to 5-gallon bucket area

New Testament Slab Area - build rock ledges and install stair cases similar to 5-gallon bucket area

Rope-De-Dope Area - fencing and rehab

Shipwreck Wall - build trail to new routes at the top of wall

Cocaine Gully - terrace, build rock steps and block open areas between Oxygen and Times Up

Aggro Gully - the upper section of the gully from Burl Master to the top needs to be better defined

Chalk cleanup and bolt camouflage

Camp Host Site / Bivy Area - a couple of hundred feet of fence will be removed

Invasive Species Management - remove non-native weeds along river

Join the community of climbers, hikers and outdoorspeople that recognize how important Smith Rock is to all of us. Last year we had over 150 volunteers do an estimated $28,000 worth of work and raise over $3000 in funds for this year's projects!

Show up at 8am, Saturday, May 7th, at the main parking area. Volunteers receive free parking passes, snacks, bottled water, sunscreen, goodies, work gloves, tools and supplies. They are also invited to the free dinner, slide show and auction at 6pm that evening.

We'll see you there!

More info: smithrock.com spring thing 2005

or contact Mike Geisen (PM me)

or Brian Nelson ( bm41@bendnet.com )

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's an idea: Check out Timmy O'Neil and his touring "Return2Sender" film on Friday night in Bend. Then come to the Spring Thing on Saturday. Climb on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Then go home and call your mother.

New stuff: Acoustic guitarists during dinner rockband.gif, and a slide show by Ben Moon before the auction! thumbs_up.gif

Be there.

• 2 weeks later...
Not I, going to be in 11worth... too far of a drive to climb in a crowd.
i am not going to climb. I am going to work. climbing is for another weekend. this weekend is about putting my muscle where my mouth is blush.gif so to speak fruit.gif

Not I, going to be in 11worth... too far of a drive to climb in a crowd.
i am not going to climb. I am going to work. climbing is for another weekend. this weekend is about putting my muscle where my mouth is blush.gif so to speak fruit.gif

Well said, Muffy. Not so kosher to climb while other people build belay stations beneath you. thumbs_down.gif This day is about giving something back and having a good time doing it! Granted, it's only a twelve minute drive for me, but I'd drive a lot further. Hell, some of us have put in several days of moving rocks already! tongue.gif

Lifting rocks is a great warm-up for climbing on Sat afternoon and Sunday, too!

Not everybody climbing on the Spring Thing day are scoundrels. Everybody should give back to the crags they frequent, but people who don't know about this event or only climb a few days a year at Smith may not deserve dirty looks and pointed remarks from those working. But Spring Thing is a good thing and hats off to all participating. bigdrink.gif

Not everybody climbing on the Spring Thing day are scoundrels. Everybody should give back to the crags they frequent, but people who don't know about this event or only climb a few days a year at Smith may not deserve dirty looks and pointed remarks from those working. But Spring Thing is a good thing and hats off to all participating. bigdrink.gif

i agree, its atleast 8hr's of driveing for me, and if i go i am definatly climbing at least one hole day.

now if it was the home craig then thats a different story

No, I hear you, Matt. I didn't mean to imply everyone climbing on Saturday is a deadbeat. Best bet is to fake a french accent, though. "I travel across de ocean to climb here. I sink I weel warm up on... how you say... 'five liter buckets'?" smirk.gif

No, I hear you, Matt. I didn't mean to imply everyone climbing on Saturday is a deadbeat. Best bet is to fake a french accent, though. "I travel across de ocean to climb here. I sink I weel warm up on... how you say... 'five liter buckets'?" smirk.gif

Except if you're French at Smith, it might be a warmup on Heinous Cling! wink.gif Anyways, taking care of a crag is a great thing and I hope everybody has a great time at the Thing and gets some good work done and bigdrink.gif

for all of you who missed it TO BAD FOR YOU tongue.gif

we had a GREAT time this year. and worked out asses off. according to the ranger the 160 some odd volenteers did allmost $50,000 (man hours) worth of work. in organizrd language if they would have had to hire crews to do what we did saterday it would have cost them near $50,000, prolly way more if you include all the pre funking that the Smith Rock Group does before the volenters arive.

Any WAY thank you to all of you who contributed. wether you organized, showed up and worked or baught something at the action (FOR ME wink.gif )or purchased raffle tickets or were there in spirit... it was a great day and i am proud to have been involved.

I would be climbing but it was dumping rain sitll at 10 this am when i was done with my breakfast, so we came home. I love Smith. I will be back there sooooonnnnn!!!

P.S. next year i am so wearing an "I AM MUFFY" t-shirt, and i SO know who DFA is now and i took a picture of him fruit.gif