Caving story

chucK

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a picture of a squeeze I wriggled through in a cave in the Snoqualamie Pass area. I think I had to take my helmet off for that squeeze, or maybe it was a different one. I agree, it's pretty freaky.

441805-Cave.jpg

I went through a squeeze in Colorado in which I could only move when I exhaled. With my lungs full of air, I was stuck! hellno3d.gif

441805-Cave.jpg.43c4ab85b0c514b9766c5b2a4df28ca4.jpg

Is caving climbing? Man that claustrophobia shit freaks me out.

Sure it is! It's how I got started climbing in the first place: caving in the limestone playgrounds of Virginia and West Virginia. We would map/explore virgin cave passages, and when we couldn't walk, crawl, squeeze, or swim, we'd break out the "cave pole" and the bolt kits.

Yep yep, one of us didn't make it out alive. There were many skeletons in Skeleton Cave. They all had gnaw marks on their bones--gnaw marks that looked suspiciously rodent-like.

So is it really a cave or actually a warren? snaf.gif

I should note that it wasn't really a "crawl" space in the first photo since you could only squeeze through on your back. What do you call inching your way forward while on your back (where you use your shoulder blades to crawl)?

The pic was actually mine.

You are absolutely right, timmy. The entrance shot is of Wind Cave. Here is another image of it found on the web:

wind01.jpg

I must have mislabeled the photo after I scanned it, or been confused in some other way. Forgive me. It was 15 years ago I was there.

"It's difficult to tell how much time passes when you're listening to a solo from the depths of Hades."

OK, this is not what I should be reading when its late on a Sunday night... The story is pretty gripping.

Much like an old H.P. Lovecraft story

Edited by tivoli_mike