Some Mt Hood questions

barjor

So I have some questions about Mt Hood.

Do they allow dogs on Hood or is it the same rules as on Mt Rainer?

What times do the lift start? Or how do you get on a snow mobile? Is it better to just trudge up the hill and get it over with?

Anywhere I can park my car if you want to sleep in the back for a couple of hours before I get going? Do I need to find a campground or does the parking lot work?

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I see dogs all the time, even on the summit

Not sure about the lift, maybe 9? If you have skins, I'd go that route, it makes coming down a whole lot faster.

I've slept in the upper, lower and overflow lots and have never been hassled. I like the O.F. lot because there are no lights down there.

Yes, dogs are allowed, it is not a National Park like Rainier.

Usually they'll open the lift at 9, conditions permitting. I think you can buy a 'one ride' pass up. Unless it's winter and cold that'll likely be too late a start but it depnds on your comfort level.

You can park/sleep overnight in the Timberline lot, there are signs for the overnight spots. If they're not plowing I'd recomend parking in the back of the lot, there can be quite a bit of activity throughout the night up there.

Mount Rainier is a national park, therefore no dogs.

Mount Hood is in national forest, therefore you can shoot things, dump old refridgerators on the summit, and shoot off fireworks. Since Timberline Ski Area has a special permit for that area, I don't think you can use a snowmobile there.

Mount Hood is in national forest, therefore you can shoot things, dump old refridgerators on the summit, and shoot off fireworks.

Not necessarily: "There are 189,200 acres of designated wilderness on the Forest. The largest is the Mt. Hood Wilderness, which includes the mountain's peak and upper slopes. Others are Badger Creek, Salmon-Huckleberry, Hatfield, and Bull-of-the-Woods." wave.gif

To ride the lifts while carrying climbing gear you need a special permit from the forest service, attained off-site (not at Timberline).

It's also not available until "climbing Season" officially begins (what the hell does that mean, anyway? I'm pretty sure I, along with a bunch of others, climbed it this past weekend. Were we 'out of season?')

That's what the employee at Timberline help desk/ticket counter told me this past Friday.

Soooooo, we skinned up instead. Which was fun. moon.gif

I ridden the lift with skis and a full climbing pack before and never even gotten a second look from the lifties. But I've always had a lift ticket so I'm not sure what they do about the one-way pass thingy.

This time of year the conditions up high should stay good all day so you can certainly get away with a later start. But climbing in February is still different than climbing in May so be sure you know what you're doing.