The Gates - Central Park

cman

Anyone going to NYC? might want to check out this art exihibit in central park http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/tg.html it is only going to be up until the end of the month. I heard this exhibit cost $21 mil. where do these guys come up with the money for this stuff.

my favorite picture is from another piece of art they created

um2wv.jpg

why i don't really know, guess it is something about the ridiculous

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It costs aobut 5-15 bucks for each of the orange shower curtains. Mill your own timber (or buy a bunch of 4 by 4's) and you too can have a fabuously ridiculous art show where you charge some people with too much money 21 million dollars. hellno3d.gif The only limit here is are "how big/bold are you willing go."

Not sure that I find this public art very fascinating, but Mr Jeanne Claude is definitely "Richer_than_me."

it's neat stuff. it's hard to imagine why they have so much trouble getting permission to do this stuff from the upper level goverment types. It's obvious Bloomberg is a business man...for the two weeks it's up, NYC will take in over $80 million from visitors and them dropping $ in town. And all he had to do was say "Yes."

Interesting tidbit about the umbrellas installation thingy: high winds picked up some of the umbrellas and they ended up killing a couple of people. hellno3d.gif

I heard about this. Apparently at least one of the people killed was a terminally ill person who wanted to see the thing before they died. They got their wish, and then promptly were killed by it.

Looks like a new umbrella franchise in southern CA. I can see it now, "Just Umbrellas." His wife looks like a freaky pumpkin; put her in a booth and she'd pass for a 3rd rate circus act. He has that "amazed" look; as if something profound is happening when in fact nothing is. These people need some real work.

It's art, b/c they say it's art. But art can suck terribly.

Is it art or is it not art?

Discuss.

Yes. It serves no functional purpose beyond its engagement of your senses, and look, it has stirred up contemplation and discussion. Interestingly, the artists were quick to point out that it doesn't mean anything, it's just a fun, nifty thing. Abstract pop mega-installation?

This website is art. The Nodder is DEFINITELY art. That pumpkin headed lady is art. Everything is art. Now can I have 21 million and be richer_than_you?