Photos of climate change from BBC site

Thinker

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is silly. You can't tell anything from two random snapshots even if they were taken at the same time of the year. Who's to say that in 2003, there wasn't twice as much snow on Hood as in 1986 in June. Conditions can change drastically from year to year. In another 20 years somebody will pull up a pic from 2005 with our low snowfall totals and submit it as proof of a coming ice age.

There is solid evidence that glaciers are receding all over the world, but these two snapshots prove nothing.

Wasn't 2002 also the driest, hottest summer in history in the PNW? Or was that 2003? Alzheimer's is taking its toll -already...

Anyhow - agreed. It'd be just as valid to show a photo of a snowman built in February 1985 and February 2002, and contrast these shots with photos of the said snowman a month after completion.

But then again - I feel the same way about the retards who chime in every there's a new single temperature/weather data point that deviates significantly from the mean and uses that to argue for or against climate change. Nothing like a hot day in January or a snowstorm in late June to asses long term, global cycles...

Paleoclimate data like this though is a little more informative.

vostok.jpg

Any data on what caused the variation in carbon loading back before the internal combustion engine? I can see cooler temps leading to less abundant plant life/algal proliferation and carbon fixation dropping in response - but its not clear to me what would cause an increase in CO2 emissions over time cycles like that. The trough-to-trough interval seems like about 100,000 years.

Interesting data though.

I don't know if this is the specific cause but the oceans are a big sink for CO2. In fact if it weren't for tectonic processes which cause limestone to be uplifted and then weather the atmosphere would have a very high concentration of O2 and it would be really cold here.

There's a good book on the subject by UW Prof. Peter Ward called The End of Planet Earth (or something like that) It's not some alarmest thing he is just talking about natural processes on the planet that wii eventually lead to the earth becoming lifeless. (Don't worry we've got a while)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few decades since I took paleoclimatology, but the best theory at the time was that changes in the earth/sun orbit changes the amount of solar radiation, which changes the amount of photosynthesis, which changes absorbtion of CO2. The first proponant of the theory was Milankovic and his theory has been validated by John Imbrie and others. See the link below:

http://www.copernicus.org/EGU/egs/milankovic.htm

Paleoclimate data like this though is a little more informative.

vostok.jpg

Any data on what caused the variation in carbon loading back before the internal combustion engine? I can see cooler temps leading to less abundant plant life/algal proliferation and carbon fixation dropping in response - but its not clear to me what would cause an increase in CO2 emissions over time cycles like that. The trough-to-trough interval seems like about 100,000 years.

Interesting data though.

The average CO2 concentration recorded at Mauna Loa (climate observatory station) in 2003 was 375ppm. That is well above the top of the scale of the graph shown above. Click HERE for all CO2 data from 1959 to 2003.

Interesting indeed.