Strength of gear loops...

erden

Are there any harnesses made out there with gear loops strong enough to use as tie in points for personal anchors? Someone is arguing that such harnesses are out there available on the market.

Sounds like a dangerous proposition to test...

Any ideas in favor of this guy? Else, I will dismiss his input.

Erden.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, there are so many accidents based on lack of knowledge that it is impossible to argue against such a harness. It's an excellent piece of gear for a novice or for a person who thinks he knows it all and refuses to read the Manufacturer's recommendations on climbing gear.

Beginning level climbers constantly tie in to the wrong things. They belay from the wrong places. There's a lot to remember. Why not recommend such a harness to such a person?

Jason

I think the argument is if you learn to be a hack with a "fail-safe" harness, and do goofy things like tying into gear loops, what happens when you borrow someone else's harness? It's like learning to "belay" with a GriGri..... You gotta learn the right way to do things before you can make informed decisions about alternatives.

I think the Metolius is too heavy as well, but I think they're on the right track. I like the idea of engineering the harness to hold 10kN when the belt isn't doubled back. Most of the time, it is a tired, experienced climber that forgets this, not an inexperienced novice. Labelling the underside of the belt is also a reasonable idea: I put little notes like this on my shop equipment all of the time (e.g. KEEP FINGERS BACK!).

The other thing I like is the idea of a second tie in point on the harness, preferably towards the back. I think it would be nice to free up space in the front of the harness, particularly when handling double-rope hanging belays. I don't necessarily need all of the gear loops able to do this, but it would be a little problematic to differentiate the 'second belay/anchor loop' from a nearby gear loop. It probably is easiest to just beef up the haul loop.

-t

I think the argument is if you learn to be a hack with a "fail-safe" harness, and do goofy things like tying into gear loops, what happens when you borrow someone else's harness? It's like learning to "belay" with a GriGri..... You gotta learn the right way to do things before you can make informed decisions about alternatives.

At least you get a second chance so that you might learn the right way.

Jason