Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The bulk of the routes are at the far end... on either side of silver bullet. I have recently begun new route development but a wasp's nest put a temporary suspension in my activities madgo_ron.gif

wave.gif

John, a heads up for no charge, if we are thinking of the same area: just so you know, the things that look like hundreds of little sticks growing out of the wall right there is Poison Oak. I sprayed it this summer and killed @ 90 percent of it, but between the leaf drop due to cold and the spraying, you can't tell it's poison oak. If you can not touch any of it with bare hands you will be better off. And even then....chop it with tools, keep the face shields down and your fingers crossed. Good luck.

No charge for the advice.

Wasps nest: try stomping on it with the foot fangs on! Or alternatively - cans of raid are couple of bucks:-)

regards;

bill

I'm so on it with the Raid! Little bastards gonna die!

I haven't been touching any of the debris/vegetation with bare hands so I'm in the clear so far but still thanks man! Hope to see you out there or at Stonies wave.gif

And all you planning on attending Wed... give me a shout! So far looks like 3-6 attending fruit.gif

Park on Rock Butte Road just before the rock wall starts. Rock wall starts c. 300' past the big dome building. Look for the silver snugtop.gif on the right.

Google map

Cross the road walking into the woods (towards the cliff). You will find a trail. Go right on the trail. You will know you are going the right way if you pass a tunnel that runs under rocky butte road. Continue c. 100' watching for top rope anchors on the left and listen for crampons on rock. wave.gif

that's pretty rad that you guys are working together/sharing gear/getting out and doing this.

PDX: putting the climb in cascadeclimbers.com hahaha.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Next session: 10/12/05 4pm - whenever

Make sure to bring a headlamp... the days are getting short so we will likely climb after dark. A thermos of hot something might be in order also.

As always let me know if you are coming so I can bring enough top ropes: 541.231.2062 wave.gifwazzup.gif

Sidenote: is anyone interested in starting a weekly Mt Hood allnighter climb club thingee? I'd like to start climbing Hood via some route once a week (or bi monthly or something) and start early enough the night before to be up and down and still be back in time for work/whatever the next morning. Shoot me a pm if interested...

Hey I might be down for this hood night thing. Sounds like good training!

Exactly my idea. I know a lot of people are headed to bigger projects in the spring or just want to be in good shape. I thought a weekly lap up Hood might in order for some cardio in addition to keeping an eye on the every changing rime conditions on I rock. Anybody keen to the idea should shoot me a pm. I'd like to start next week. wazzup.gif

FYI for those interested... Lewis and Clark have been hosting some great lectures this week. Anyone interested in carpooling or just meeting up give me a shout. If anything you can go for the free food... wazzup.gif

Meet Yvon Chouinard, A Reception with Patagonia Founder Yvon Chouinard:

DATE: Thursday, October 13, 9:30-10:30 pm

Join us at Lewis and Clark College for a reception with Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard, author of the newly released, “Let My People Go Surfing: the Education of a Reluctant Businessman.” We’ll enjoy light food and non-alcoholic beverages provided by Bon Appetite – Lewis & Clark’s campus service. Chat with Yvon and Robert Ketchum, whose artwork titled “Southwest Alaska: A World of National Parks and Wildlife Refuges,” will be on display in the gallery. A representative from 1% For The Planet will also be on hand.

This event will follow Yvon’s keynote speech at 7:30, part of Lewis & Clark’s Symposium on Environmental Affairs in the Templeton Student Center, Council Chamber. It will be held at Lewis and Clark College's Hoffman Gallery for Contemporary Art.

The reception is free. For more information, phone Patagonia at 503-525-2552 or Lewis & Clark at 503-768-7626.

Hey I might be down for this hood night thing. Sounds like good training!

Exactly my idea. I know a lot of people are headed to bigger projects in the spring or just want to be in good shape. I thought a weekly lap up Hood might in order for some cardio in addition to keeping an eye on the every changing rime conditions on I rock. Anybody keen to the idea should shoot me a pm. I'd like to start next week. wazzup.gif

Weekly Hood pub club. Nolse, you rock dude!

Wow! Awesome idea. smile.gif

Blake said:

Where can the Seattle-ites dry-tool?

There is any area up near exit 38 that is detailed in the WA Ice guide. I've been meaning to get up there and try it out. Alas, I just sharpened my tools and pons last weekend too, guess I'll need to do it again before the real ice cometh.

All you guys need is a some chunk of rock no one carries about... the closer to Seattle the better... the more time climbing and the less time driving for training nights is key! Also as your skill set improves look for steeper stuff... it will only help.

Even more important then that is you need a core group of motivated individuals that want to be there on a weekly basis. Even if it is just 2 or 3 people as long as you guys are meeting weekly you will build the momentum needed to get a weely climb night established. I know trekandclime, Ade, Alpinedave and some other dudes went a few times last year... see if they are interested in starting one up. Good luck! wave.gif

Pics from 10/12. Where were you? At home watching America's next top model? Martha Stewart Apprentice? Get yer moon.gif to DT night! Anybody is welcome! Hope so see some more fresh blood next week wave.gif as well as the regular crew wazzup.gif

Team PDX!

4479teamPDX.JPG

Tim isn't registered with cc.com but he made it out

4479tim.JPG

LCM's first time ever dting

4479LCMdting.JPG

Daniel Harro sans leashes

4479DHdting.JPG

masternate32 trying to keep his feet on

4479natedting.JPG

4479natedting1.JPG