New Forum?

jon

Lambone: The current sections would be as is. People would ask questions for beta. There would be spray. I am asking for a new place for ONLY trip reports without the potential for any responses.

Dru: What I would like to see is a guidebook online. The guidebook would be constantly updated by its users--not updated whenever the author wanted it to be updated. Dru as you know, access to the base of peaks changes with the logging companies if they decide to put up a gate/improve a road/abandon a road. Also the guidebook online would have MORE INFORMATION than what the editors would allow in the books. Hell, look at bivouac.com it is growing by its users and information--and it is updated. There is nothing like bivouac.com on this website--or for the Cascades on any site I have seen.

Jon: See above for the idea about guidebook online. I don't have the time, and probably most of your users who have logged on don't have the time either. You are probably online so much, you just assume everybody else has the time. Truth is-we don't all have T1's or DSL's.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan:

Jon: See above for the idea about guidebook online. I don't have the time, and probably most of your users who have logged on don't have the time either. You are probably online so much, you just assume everybody else has the time. Truth is-we don't all have T1's or DSL's.

Do you realize how much work that is to put something like that together? I do because it has been under the works for two years. If you don't have the time to post info and neither does anyone else who the hell going to occupy this online guidebook.

You know between my 50+ hour a week job, going climbing and mountain biking once in a while, and training for the Ironman in June I don't have much time either. Oh I run a popular website too where I get about 10 emails a day about how people forgot their passwords or I need to moderate something. I don't have time either but I find it.

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

Hey I got a question for you guys and gals which I don't think we have ever talked about before....

Should we add more forums and/or change the organization for some of them?

Is the Route Reporting Category broken up into enough forum or should we break it up more?

Thanks for the feedback!!!!
[rockband]

Hello?????

Jon????

You asked this question. Guess what? I replied. Just becuase I ask, doesn't mean you have to do. Remember, you asked.

Jon, when I hung out with Tim last summer I recall him telling me the WTA database was a major inspiration for the cc.com thing. Something that simple, would that be hard to put up? It's fun to read all of the responses to the TRs but it would be cool if there was a big, really easily searchable d-base for TRs right here, like WTA's. No guidebook, just TRs. As you probably know, the search tool on this site is just OK.

Other than that (and chat, Timm@y, we miss our chatter!) the site works very well as is, IMHO.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

Hey I got a question for you guys and gals which I don't think we have ever talked about before....

Should we add more forums and/or change the organization for some of them?

Is the Route Reporting Category broken up into enough forum or should we break it up more?

Thanks for the feedback!!!!
[rockband]

Hello?????

Jon????

You asked this question. Guess what? I replied. Just becuase I ask, doesn't mean you have to do. Remember, you asked.

Sorry to jump on you like that. I'm known to be intense at times. [big Grin]

I think the problem about locking a TR is people may have quesions, though that could be asked in a different thread. Beta requests usually turn into a mini TR.

My question was actually very basic in intention. What I want to know is if we should add more forums and what for. Adding forums takes seconds to do.

I like the idea of a 'techniques' forum. I often ask a lot of questions around this subject which Im sure have been asked or brought up many times before. Sometimes I will do a search, but often times it takes more work than it might be worth...easier to just type out a few words and ask again.

I think the ice section should be divided into Canada, PNW, and MINNESOTA ( [Razz] just kidding! [Razz] )

The idea of adding a "rock" section is a novel one. I think if you seperated that further into sport/trad it would cause even more controversy than what already appears on the site.

It seems like there are a lot of great ideas that folks have out there as to how to make this site "bigger and better", "quicker and easier". Yet, its not often you see someone jump up and say, "hey I'll help with this! Let's do it!". (maybe Im wrong and there are, they just dont make it public?) If people want to see changes, its probably going to require a little help...whether that be posting in the right forum, moving posts to the appropriate forum if your a moderator, or stepping forward and volunteering your time/knowledge. Jon and Timmy seem to be somewhat superhuman with all they do, but geeeesh...there is a limit to what even superhumans can do! [smile]

I would be willing to help because I have gained a lot from this site (both information and opportunites on my trips to the pnw which I wouldnt have had without people from this site). I just dont know what I could do, since I am halfway accross the country and dont have much knowledge of the pnw...or climbing for that matter! [Roll Eyes]

Thanks for all you do Jon and Timmy! Its appreciated even from afar!

Cheers! [big Drink]

Stefan,

Check this out abridged beta from CC.com .

A while back I took some threads that had beta for various things I wanted to try. I saved the source code and edited out all the crap. That left me with peeeyure beta. Later I put 'em on my webpage.

I hope noone minds (Jon, Tim), I tried to attribute everything, except maybe in one link (the Backbone Ridge one) where I made this little file way before I ever had any thoughts of sharing it with the world.

Anyway, Stefan, if you want a pure beta repository, go ahead and make a couple pages like these and send 'em to me. I'll put them on this page. Or post 'em on your own if you got one.

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

Stefan,

Check this out

A while back I took some threads that had beta for various things I wanted to try. I saved the source code and edited out all the crap. That left me with peeeyure beta. Later I put 'em on my webpage.

I hope noone minds (Jon, Tim), I tried to attribute everything, except maybe in one link (the Backbone Ridge one) where I made this little file way before I ever had any thoughts of sharing it with the world.

Anyway, Stefan, if you want a pure beta repository, go ahead and make a couple pages like these and send 'em to me. I'll put them on this page. Or post 'em on your own if you got one.

Unfortunately, I haven't kept any of my trip reports. I know I should to look at them.....

quote:

It's not as easy as you think. I dont think Jon is assuming anyone has the time to create a new database of info that is already here.

I think if you are just patient enough and savvy it will pay off. [Wink] It's not super convenient but it is there. Searching a database through the web is time consuming but nobody's getting paid on the moderator side. [Wink]

I think the current forums are okay. I don't think a separate ski mountaineering forum is necessary. A forum on "pioneering" trips would be handy for people working on guidebooks or history projects, but not essential.

My pet wish is a link like "today's posts" that gathers up more than one day. Maybe three days, a week, I don't know. I don't visit cc.com every day, and would find something like that nice for catching up.

Ok here is a summary of what I've heard from you guys and will likely add/change.

People want a seperate forum for Rock and Alpine. So these are just general talk forums right? This one needs some consideration, as Iain pointed out less can be more and we don't want to make this confusing.

Ice will be seperated into Washington, Canada, and Outside PNW forums.

Ski forum would be questionable since there are other good ski sites out there, but I think it would be a good place not only to talk about conditions but maybe gear setups with the crowd you know. Rando vs. Tele debates could reside here. [Wink]

Outside North America forum.

Tech Talk forum for talking techniques. There have been some very excellent conversations and it would require some help going back and moving topics there.

Pub Club forum.

Events forum that should be tied to a Calender.

First Ascent forum got a nod from Jason.

Lowell wants a Pioneering forum and gets it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. [rockband]

quote:

Originally posted by Lowell Skoog:

My pet wish is a link like "today's posts" that gathers up more than one day. Maybe three days, a week, I don't know. I don't visit cc.com every day, and would find something like that nice for catching up.

The latest topics on the front page is broken (but soon to be fixed) and could work for a couple days. We could make one for 100 days as well. We might switch to Ubb.threads message board which has the feature you are talking about but unfortunately doesn't have the summary of the last post from each thread.

quote:

Originally posted by Big Wave Dave:

I agree with Iain, less is more. The easier it is to see what folks are up to (or spraying about) the better. I think it adds harmony to the CC community and possibly contributes to world peace.

quote:

Originally posted by Jon:

People want a seperate forum for Rock and Alpine. So these are just general talk forums right? This one needs some consideration, as Iain pointed out less can be more and we don't want to make this confusing.

What about about alpine rock, and alpine bouldering, among others? It can be hard to draw distinctions, and many posters to this board have a tough enough time of it as it is. Right on BWD and Iain, I agree it best to keep it simple and the climbing types together. After all many (most?) of us like ALL types of climbing, and would rather not want to see people attempt to separate it.

quote:

Ice will be seperated into Washington, Canada, and Outside PNW forums.

Oregon, Idaho, western Montana, do you consider them part of the PNW? Don't know much about ice in OR, but it exists a bit in north ID, and there is lots in Big Sky country.

quote:

Ski forum would be questionable since there are other good ski sites out there, but I think it would be a good place not only to talk about conditions but maybe gear setups with the crowd you know. Rando vs. Tele debates could reside here.

And boarders vs. tele and rando, too.

Keep up the good work, Jon and Tim, you're getting well-paid for this, right?

Cheers, pindude