Why is it "cool" to besmirch Vantage?

nalo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aware that vantage is the sight of ongoing erosion. Rocks fall. Wear a helmet. Still though, how many thousands pass through that place unscathed for every person that gets injured. And Distel, even though you're way more 'core than I am, I've climbing years longer than you and I still feel the same way I did when I first went there. That place is beautiful.

Is besmirch even a word? I don't know, and I don't care. And it's that not caring that makes me so uber kewl. And I love vantage, and I don't care what you think. I love vantage, I love crumbling rock and toppling columns and dead climbers, and vantage loves me. We're a family. So go piss and moan about your pathetic, meaningless, emplty little grey lives somewhere else.

vantage is sweet. i go there specifically for the loose rock. infact, if i wanted to avoid all adventure, i would stay indoors and climb plastic with the rest of you pansy indoor boners. i like to use wood glue to random holds onto my wall to simulate the choss of vantage. now that is good, realistic training.

So where else are you going to climb when it's wet and cold on the west side?

Smithj? Lillooet? Skaha? The Nodder Oh My God? rolleyes.gif

Or any of the other twenty-odd places in Eastern Washington that are so much better. On second thought, keep going to Vantage. It rocks, make sure all your friends go there with you, Sweet.

Nice thing is, the rep' keeps alot of people away. Climbing is more than climbing and most of the most dubious places are some of the best (and offer some of most profound memories) Fisher Towers, Arches, Fossil, Juniper Butte...etc.

To appreciate an area despite some percieved shortcomings is to truly call yourself a climber.

Choss is Boss rockband.gif

Pinnacles Natl Monument in CA is also considered the land of choss, but I climbed there regularly years ago and had a blast. It is a very beautiful park that many non-climbers enjoy.

Where else can you find towers whose first ascent involved flying a kite over top, landing it on the other side, pulling a rope over and prussiking up? During certain seasons thousands of tarantulas march through the park, peregrins nest on remote cliffs, you can crawl through caves, hear the coyotes calling, hang out in meadows with deer, and ogle oodles of flowers in the spring. Yes, and routes from 5.0 to 5.14.

I have yet to find the same magic at Vantage. If you do that's great. Enjoy.

Vantage would be fine if you are the only person there. But for some reason it is a magnet for new climbers fresh out of the gym. This means lots of people with no awarness of loose rock which creates one of the most dangerous places to climb I have ever been to. Vantage on a nice spring weekend day is a death trap.

Actually Brian, there is quite a bit of overhanging stuff there! lower walls and the caves near the parking lot, but they are choss. I would rather climb more solid choss at cheak where I know the entire wall isn't going to fall down, unlike vantage where a fair number of those pillars just need a good push