my messed up wrist

nalo

About six weeks ago I was coming home wasted from a party and decided to climb the outside of my apartment building. Luckily, it was raining and I didn't get very high (~ 4 feet) before I fell. I landed on my feet and kind of rolled backwards. I put my left hand out behind me to catch myself as I toppled over and bent my wrist back really really hard. It hurt a lot, so I promptly went inside and passed out. When I woke up the next morning, my wrist really hurt and my palm was cut up and bloody. I went into my roommate's room "Dude, my wrist hurts... Do you know what happened to it?" She explained to me about the climbing and the falling and I pretended to remember the incident. This wasn't the only time that I bent back my wrist like this, either. One time I fell campusing on the underside of some stairs, and another time I sucked at snowboarding. The snowboarding injury left me with a big purple bruise on the back of my wrist, just caused by repeated falling and bending back. I went to the doctor after the first two injuries, but not after this one (just switched jobs, no insurance yet). The point is, it's six+ weeks later now and it still hurts.

I am still unable to climb. My full open-hand crimp works ok, but thats it. palming a sloper is absolutely out of the question. I'll get insurance in another few weeks, is it worth going to see a doctor about a two month old injury?

thanks for any insight

nalo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Options:

1 - Join AA, stop climbing, and cry in your coffee.

2 - Amputate with dull penknife, die from infectious complications, and have family apply for Darwin award.

3 - See the MD. What harm can the doc do? Perhaps you'll get a referral to a PT who can actually get you functional again.

if you are an american without insurance, this must be a big deal. If you can't go to a doctor...

X-rays would be nice in case bones need to be set, or chips removed, but if you feel like doing it yourself, immobilize it for at least a couple weeks, take it really easy for several months - this means light motion and work, just enough to cause an ache but NEVER enough to cause a flare of pain. You must NOT exacerbate (worsen) the problem. There are alot of little bones, and tendons and ligaments all interacting and rubbing against each other in your wrist - a cracked bone or torn ligament coupled with inflammation is bad, grinding it around in there is much worse. NO CLIMBING! heal first, try again later.