basecamp frisbee - can be used for many a thing:

1 - an actual frisbee

2 - dinner plate

3 - cutting board

4 - shovel/scoop

5 - somethin to sit on

6 - mini-shelter/snowcave window cover

7 - a slead

8 - if glow in the dark... you can play midnight frisbee - or give the night time animals something to chase.

9 - a bear's temporary chew toy

10- trail marker

[big Grin]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by krazy 1:

whatever...

i thought the disc was a little smaller

a little web search turns up the fact that Frisbee is trademark of Wham-O. so if you play catch with a "disc" I bet you also take generic ibuprofen instead of Advil, go to the gorge to use your sailboard, not Windsurfer, wipe your nose with tissue not Kleenex and place SLCD's not Friends. Although the last one is kind of an age thing if you call all cams Friends you probably started climbing in the 70's or earlier.

quote:

Originally posted by krazy 1:

yeah and according to "Back to the Future II" the frisbee was actually a pie plate. imagine that!
[Razz]

i was a kid in the 70's, my friends were superman, spiderman, wonderwoman and everyone outside of the hall of doom.

me to oexcept i didnt have a Tv so I had to go over to friends' houses or grandma's to watch Superfriendz. [laf]

At the risk of getting this back on-topic:

Snowcamping stuff:

I just cant get on-board with the pee-bottle - hey, I've tried! Nothing, uh, happens. I get all ready and, uh, come on come on, (heavy sigh). Okay, gotta get outta the tent, but of course I dont wanna put the boots on. Answer: Goretex socks. Wont keep your feet warm but will keep 'em dry for the few minutes you need. Note this has limitations - postholing sucks, and in some technical terrain this could be a real hazard.

Cascade Designs Pillowcase - hey, I'm taking my puffy jacket anyway, right? I stuff that sucker in the pillowcase and I'm the envy of my tentmates. Best six dollars I ever spent.

Use a dip cup, wouldja please? They only cost a couple dollars and they dont hardly weigh anything. I hate seeing hands (gloved or not) go in the snowbag to scoop snow into the cookpot - hey, I know what you been doin'! Color me delicate but I think its gross. [geek]

Handi-wipes - gimme an Amen, brother. And that Sanitizer Gel stuff too.

This is not a thing to bring but just a tip: Dig out your tent platform, but now set up your tent off to one side, including the fly. Now place the tent, all ready to go, on the platform. I see so many people take a long time to get their platform just right, then they step all over it while getting the poles connected, etc. all while punching holes all over their perfect platform.

-Dox

quote:

Originally posted by dkemp:

At the risk of getting this back on-topic:

Snowcamping stuff:

I just cant get on-board with the pee-bottle - hey, I've tried! Nothing, uh, happens. I get all ready and, uh, come on come on, (heavy sigh). Okay, gotta get outta the tent, but of course I dont wanna put the boots on. Answer: Goretex socks. Wont keep your feet warm but will keep 'em dry for the few minutes you need. Note this has limitations - postholing sucks, and in some technical terrain this could be a real hazard.

Cascade Designs Pillowcase - hey, I'm taking my puffy jacket anyway, right? I stuff that sucker in the pillowcase and I'm the envy of my tentmates. Best six dollars I ever spent.

Use a dip cup, wouldja please? They only cost a couple dollars and they dont hardly weigh anything. I hate seeing hands (gloved or not) go in the snowbag to scoop snow into the cookpot - hey, I know what you been doin'! Color me delicate but I think its gross.
[geek]

Handi-wipes - gimme an Amen, brother. And that Sanitizer Gel stuff too.

This is not a thing to bring but just a tip: Dig out your tent platform, but now set up your tent off to one side, including the fly. Now place the tent, all ready to go, on the platform. I see so many people take a long time to get their platform just right, then they step all over it while getting the poles connected, etc. all while punching holes all over their perfect platform.

-Dox

Thanks Mom [Roll Eyes]

If you have a good novel, it's not a bad idea to cut it in half to cut down on weight. Unless it's a really crappy trip I usually don't read more than an hour or so a night and don't finish a half a novel.

A pot scrubber is one of the most handy items I carry for longer trips. Seems simple, but it is nice to cook in a relatively clean pot.

If you bend the upper half of your spoon, then you can set it in your pot while cooking and not lose it in the boiling water. Just take a lighter to the upper part of the spoon and allow the plastic to warm a bit, then bend... A metal spoon (what I have) is easier, just bend it.

When it's really wet and my inner booties are soaked, it's often difficult to dry the entire inner boot in my sleeping bag. There are two things one can do to have dry feet the next day:

1) Take the footbed liner in your sleeping bag and dry this out. It often feels like one's whole foot is dry after doing this.

2) It was mentioned earlier to put a hot water bottle in the sleeping bag. If one puts the same bottle inside the inner bootie while cooking dinner and such, it will at least marginally begin the drying process.

Just a few ideas I like... Hopefully these will be helpful to someone out there.

Jason

Really do hate the woods. Bad animals seem to always be lurking about...too many places to hide. Get me out of the woods asap. One time on an Alpine start on the road to Montie Cristo my friend and myself ran into wolf...heard more calling him from up the creek. 20 years in the woods of the N.W. never heard or saw any thing like it. After climbing Gothic and coming back we called the Rangers in Verlot and they told us to call there staff Bio-lady in Bellingham. She told us that wolf travel from Canada down into the states all the time. Just more reasons to get above treeline as fast as these old feet will go. But if I must be there for any time at all, I smoke a big fat bowl of BC to calm myself. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by Darrel:

Really do hate the woods. Bad animals seem to always be lurking about...too many places to hide. Get me out of the woods asap. One time on an Alpine start on the road to Montie Cristo my friend and myself ran into wolf...heard more calling him from up the creek. 20 years in the woods of the N.W. never heard or saw any thing like it. After climbing Gothic and coming back we called the Rangers in Verlot and they told us to call there staff Bio-lady in Bellingham. She told us that wolf travel from Canada down into the states all the time. Just more reasons to get above treeline as fast as these old feet will go. But if I must be there for any time at all, I smoke a big fat bowl of BC to calm myself.
[Roll Eyes]

Do you often get mistaken for a deer or only by wolves [Roll Eyes][sNAFFLEHOUND]