How do YOU approach in winter conditions?

Chad_A

What method do you use?  

261 members have voted

1. 1. What method do you use?

In winter thus far, due to my ski/snowboard non-experience, I've either boot-tracked it in, or snowshoed on the approaches.

I have pals who do the same, and then there's others that do randonee, tele, and another that does a split-board.

I guess the sport of skiing itself could be fun, but mainly, I'm thinking of mountaineering approaches at this point, so I'm looking for input.

At this point, it sounds like a split board might be a good option because snowboarding has a relatively quick learning curve, the shorter skis are easier to control, and snowboarding is more forgiving to descending in mountaineering boots. Feel free to give input, but this is what makes sense to me so far.

Also, I know that conditions and different approaches demand different gear, so that's a given, but in general, I'm looking for preferences, and what has worked for people in the past.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about

"drive to gym, get out of car, walk in, change into climbing clothes, chalk hands, climb 10 laps on 10 routes, boulder, change back into street clothes, exit into pouring gray west coast winter day, get into car, drive to bar, drink"

What about

"drive to gym, get out of car, walk in, change into climbing clothes, chalk hands, climb 10 laps on 10 routes, boulder, change back into street clothes, exit into pouring gray west coast winter day, get into car, drive to bar, drink"

Sounds a bit on the sketchy side.

Wow, nice pics. Straight out of the '80s? Colors are...uh...quite vivid. yelrotflmao.gif

That, or Canada, present-day. Is there some requirement for canadian skiers to have a faded one-piece suit in some heinous color? I went to Fairy Meadows a few years ago and it was like a standard-issue uniform.

Depends on the climb, but change option four to:

"Skin up with mountain boots, have fun climbing in them, and RIP STRAIGHT ELEVENS ALL THE WAY DOWN LOL

...and I will check it.

So, iain, it is possible to ski reasonably with mtn boots? Or was it just a joke. That's how new I am to it! I have no idea. But I'm hoping to get an idea.

The main issue with CLIMBING in tele boots is that tele boots do not come with a rubber sole, while AT boots do. And the duck bill is unwieldy. But then, I've been climbing (and slipping) in plastic alpine race boots, so I'm sure someone is climbing (and slipping) in tele boots somewhere...

drC

All tele boots DO come a rubber sole, most are vibram in fact. While climbing in them is not as nice as plactic climbing boots, if you have the right crampons its not bad at all. I do almost all of my winter climbing in tele boots. The duck bell can get annoying because you cant get as much purchase out of your front points and on rock you cant stand on your toes but other than that i dont have much of a problem.

My progression:

Boot tracking....

Snowslewing....

Skiing...silvretta's....falling down, making an ass of myself, and still beating the competition since 2002.

I am the first to admit....skiing sux, snowboarding is way funner, but skiing will allow you approach mountains quicly and efficiently

Yeah, it all depends on the approach. Snowshoe, bootpack or ski whatevers fastest, snow conditions and how far it is depending. Like if you were going in to do a multi-day approach postholing would severely suck but for a multipitch hard ice climb one hour from the road you probably wouldnt want to ski in and climb in ski boots.

Also depending on the descent.. do you have to carry your approach method up and over? Skis are heavy and suck to carry even on flat ground, on technical ground it is double suck.

A climber I did an alpine thing with this past summer also had some pretty decent skiing experience. He was highly praising randonee. So, for what's it's worth, there's your third-hand opinion.

I can't find a LOT of info on the web about randonee shit, but does anybody know if the bindings work with double boots? My clip-on crampons make me think that with the lip in front/back should allow a binding to work as well.