You Predict - Next 4 years

Blake

snaf.gif

Come on Scott. Give me something serious, and that isn't just an advancement of the conservative agenda. This isn't a challenge either. It's a plea. Presidents are supposed to bring the whole country forward, not just their party.

Edited for my first pagetop!

Edited by Camilo

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. I truly believe that we will put a major dent in terrorism. If we are able to put aside our political differences we may be able to advance our cause. I am not going to say that Iraq is or is not a good start in this thread, but I do believe that a large amount of force is the only thing that will be able to stop terrorists and those that support them. The only real question in my mind is this: Will we apply our power in the right countries and against the right people or let our political aspirations/pride dictate who we go after? This is the crux and I think that it is possible that this administration can do it, but they need to think of the country first. I also feel that the divicivness in our country that is shown on this board must be stopped. Whomever is in power we must do what we can to further our country and keep it the best in the World.

I think you are asking a good question and showing great maturity in asking it. Lets hope others will ask it as well.

The only real question in my mind is this: Will we apply our power in the right countries and against the right people or let our political aspirations/pride dictate who we go after? This is the crux and I think that it is possible that this administration can do it, but they need to think of the country first. I also feel that the divicivness in our country that is shown on this board must be stopped.

The republicans won't stop the divisiveness since that is the key to their power. They find enough hot buttons and then use that to keep certain factions on their side. Unfortunately the people that they are able to attract with this method are more than willing to ignore the other baggage that republicans bring along with them.

Going and attacking Iraq is tilting at windmills in response to the "war on terror". If you don't address the enemy, you don't address the problem. In the case of Iraq, if you have increased recruiting with terrorist organizations, you haven't gained anything.

1) a military draft, probably starting with doctors, nurses, EMTs; eventually others

2) increase in taxes; finally have to start paying some bills

3) more encroachment by religion on public life; maybe some constitutional amendments to allow prayer and other religious rituals in places now off limits

4) more compromise of the environment in deference to economic interests; the air will get dirtier; asthmatics will be hospitalized more frequently; ANWR is toast; the only wolves that will be left in Alaska are those who performed in W's commercial--they'll be put in a petting zoo

1) a military draft, probably starting with doctors, nurses, EMTs; eventually others

2) increase in taxes; finally have to start paying some bills

3) more encroachment by religion on public life; maybe some constitutional amendments to allow prayer and other religious rituals in places now off limits

4) more compromise of the environment in deference to economic interests; the air will get dirtier; asthmatics will be hospitalized more frequently; ANWR is toast; the only wolves that will be left in Alaska are those who performed in W's commercial--they'll be put in a petting zoo

Are you people forgetting that this man has already served 4 years in office and none of these things have come about? Accept it an think about what we can do as a nation to better ourselves rather than increase the division. Your eternal pessimism will not help our country at all. Your willingness to do with it takes to progress and get over our problems will.

More people have died as a result of our invasion of Iraq than were killed on 9/11.

"I'm a uniter, not a divider" --G.W. Bush, 2000 campaign

100 times that many were killed before we got there.

How come we don't have a dead horse graemlin? Somehow I don't see bush as a uniter, even if he has picked up a few percent of the popular vote. At the beginning of his term 50% of the people didn't think he'd do a good job, now 48% think he's completely off his rocker and are scared of/hate his administration. I wouldn't call that progress. I also don't think quietly stepping into "line" with his policies even if I don't agree is what's best for the country. This is different from feeling standing behind the troops on the ground. I'm more than happy to send care packages to friends while voicing my opinion that we still shouldn't be there.

bigdrink.gif Here's to hoping we don't invade anywhere else for half assed reasons. Though I kind of think we'll be bogged down in Iraq long enough to tie our troops up for at least 2 or 3 more years.

Bush will win the war on terror.

Bush will bring freedom and democracy to the middle east, and they'll thank him for it.

Bush will smoke Bin laden out and get him on the run ...out in the open.

Bush will jump start the economy with tax cuts for the top 10%.

Bush will deliver lots of living-wage jobs to Ohio.

Bush will continue to be a uniter --not a divider.

Bush will not use ideological litmus tests for his judge appointments.

And I have a bridge I'll sell you in Brooklyn.

Here's a little nugget of hope . . . one of the few things that impressed me about Bush's work. If he can help get some traction on this, I'll be a little happier. The hope is that this could take us a long way on the war on terror, much more than our war with Iraq.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House promised a new push in President Bush's second term to revive a stalled Middle East peace plan on Thursday as longtime Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat lay ill in a Paris hospital.

"We have a new opportunity before us to move forward on the 'road map' and get to the two-state vision that the president outlined," said White House spokesman Scott McClellan. "We will remain actively engaged working with the parties to accomplish that goal."

McClellan offered few specifics, singling out as a historic opportunity Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's plan to evacuate troops and settlers from the Gaza Strip and parts of the northern West Bank.

The White House declined to comment on the health of Arafat, the Palestinian president, who was lying unconscious and in critical condition on Thursday in the intensive care unit at a French military hospital, aides said.

"I think right now it's important that he gets the medical care that he needs. And we're continuing to monitor his situation. That's where it is. I don't think it's appropriate to go beyond that," McClellan said.

The death of Arafat -- a leader Israel and Washington see as an obstacle to peace -- could shuffle the cards in the Middle East conflict. Arafat has named no successor.

Bush has said he supports a Palestinian state alongside Israel and an international peace plan known as the "road map," which imposes obligations on both sides.

But for most of the two years since he began to ostracize Arafat, his administration has made only sporadic attempts to bring Israelis and Palestinians together.

The White House said Bush spoke briefly to Sharon, who called to congratulate him on his election victory.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair has urged European nations to put their differences with the United States over Iraq behind them and work with Bush to pursue Middle East peace.

"The need to revitalize the Middle East peace process is the single most pressing political challenge in our world today," Blair said.

More people have died as a result of our invasion of Iraq than were killed on 9/11.

100 times that many were killed before we got there.

the new lancet study (via john hopkins) says that so far ~100,000 iraqi civilians have died of a violent death in the 1.5 year since intervention. the sanctions of the previous 10 years caused ~500,000 civilian death. saddam ruled for 24years and is said to have killed ~500,000 civilians. get your math right.

Most citizens of the free world outside of the US who, up until now have said,

"we are horrified by the US President, not the US people,"

will now say,

"we are horrified by the US, period...including the people."

When such a large percentage of American's know who they are voting for (and most would include the 40% of Americans who did not vote in with Bush supporters...by abstaining, you are saying that you trust the judgment of the majority voters), and then go ahead and vote for him, then...you're it.

Ken Wiwa, the soon of murdered Nigerian activist Ken Saro-Wiwa, a while ago concluded that more of Bush was a good thing as it would only hasten the inevitable decline and fall of the American Empire. He suggested that Kerry would have slowed, not reversed, the moral decay and international credibility of the US, so one might as well just get it over with quickly by going with Bush.

The people have spoken. Now the people will get what they deserve. Democracy - the good and the bad! You can't argue against it, and only history is judge...the rest of us can only guess.