Same side or opposing??

SnowByrd

I've just had a lively discussion with a friend on the proper way to orient biners on a quick draw for Sport Routes.

If you go to REI, and pick up a sport draw, the biners are facing the same way. BD's for example.

1) Said friend says that gear manufacturers are now saying that it is dangerous to oppose the draws. Is there any evidence to support this?

2) Climbing Gear girl at REI (been climbing for 13 years) says they are set up wrong. They should be opposing.

3) Everyone else I've spoken to says they should be opposing.

So what's the scoop? And most importantly...WHY?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thizziz a personal opinion type of thing...BUT theoretically one can lever off a biner by rotating it over the hanger and then loading it...the old style metolius ring bolts were particularly prone to this...

I personally have them going opposite of each other...

Backcountrydog, what if you give a scenario for this, please?

I can see it happen if several things all happen at once. And I think the real-life probability of the same circustances making the same-way oriented draw to fail is the same as in opposing-oriented draw case.

I use same-way only because it is easier to know which way to clip more intuitively, without extra thinking. Any actual tests to reproduce the "failure" with some degree of consistency?

I believe that they should be on the same side for the reason backcountrydog mentionned. Manufacturers also mention the possibility of the gate becoming trapped in the bolt hanger and breaking. Not a good thing.

Omega Pacific apparently believes differently from what other manufacturers (BD, Petzl, etc.) do and sell their quickdraws with opposed gates. Their reason is to try to minimize the chance of *both* carabiners' gates opening in a fall as they reorient themselves during the fall and could get nudged open on chickenheads, knobs, and other features.

I'll personnally stick to what Petzl and BD and so many others do, for a reason I believe is better than OP's (which one can deal with by using different lengths for quickdraws).

drC

It doesn't matter what whether you have the biners opposed or the same side. In the examples that tomtom post what is critical is the side of the hanger you clipped into and the direction of travel, not whether you have your biners alligned or opposed. Even then you have to let the tension off really quick to have the biner release from the bolt, in most cases the biner will close staying on the bolt. And as Catbird mentioned if you are ultra paranoid rotate your top biner and drive your second crazy. I know, I used to do that and when my second would come up to to it they were like WTF. What you need to be more worried about is backclipping not the orientation of your biners.

BCD, give me some credit, man smile.gif

It is a no-brainer to repro with a bolt in one hand and a q-draw in another, why would I ask for an example of such an obvious case?

If you look at a real-life scenarios, through the years of your climbing career, you would most likely come to the conclusion that having draws only one way or another does not make a difference. If circumstances are right, the unclipping could happen in both cases.

I am sure this has happened, but what is the likelyhood? That's the scenario I was asking for, from your experience, not just speculatively. Slabs, overhangs, vertical, change of direction that should happen, climbing or clipping, etc. are the things that are going to affect the unclipping.

I say this "concern" is negligible, that's my point.

I think most of us agree that the gate of the lower biner should face away from the direction of the climber's travel, i.e., if I am ascending up and left, the gate of the lower biner should face to the right.

The worry I have is when I must traverse first one way and then the other in difficult terrain before making the next clip, thus not knowing for sure on which side of the lower biner I might fall. The other consideration is the top biner unclipping from the hanger as illustrated on the Climerware website. Most of the time this is not a big deal, and on most routes I don't give my clips a second thought after I decide which way to orient them.

But most of us have been in situations where the rope must stay clipped or the results would be grim. My solution to this is to simply use two quickdraws, gates opposed. On the hanger end one carabiner points left and one to the right. Ditto for the rope end biners. I have seen no data to indicate this is a dangerous practice. The one concern I have would be extra stresses to the hanger-end biners, but they seem to nest pretty well.

Anyway, that's my $.02