Kurt Smith Kickin Access Smith Rock party

Heinouscling

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the pub in Squamish and saw a show Saturday. Kurt is a pretty cool guy. His slide show was kinda short but ok. Could not see with all the people standing in front of me sometimes. It was like "here's some ** climbing ***. Next is *** on ***". He's quick about it.... I have seen better shows but the idea of raising money for access is the whole idea anyway. Plus all the prizes are an attraction.

The lovely Fern: you shouldn't be so harsh on those slides of indoor bouldering...there were probably some awesome views of heinous crimps, sick slopers and outrageous sit-starts that had most of the audience on the edge of their seats and crying for more when the lights came on!!! [Roll Eyes]

"At least I won a pencil case as a door prize."

...but probably no pencil. The guy signing posters needed it.

Here, Fern, I'll give you some slide-show!: [rockband]

- Dwayner

-

"Did they serve those dainty little hors d'oeurves with the watercress and paté? Yummers!"

This is RURP:

According to the official propaganda:

"Kurt Smith is coming to town to throw a climber's party to promote awareness of climbing access issues. Known for his high energy slide shows featuring stunning photography and awesome live music by DJ Highball, Kurt's show is sure to leave your palms sweating for more!"

But the reviewers are saying this:

"His slide show was kinda short but ok. Could not see with all the people standing in front of me sometimes. It was like "here's some ** climbing ***. Next is *** on ***". He's quick about it.... I have seen better shows."

"...sooooo weak. as an example we were treated to slides of people bouldering indoors."

And what about "DJ Highball"?

"I saw Kurt in the Smoke Bluffs on Sunday. He smiled and said Hi."

I should be SOOOOOO lucky! [Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes]

RURP has spoken.

quote:

Originally posted by RURP:

And what about "DJ Highball"?

DJ Highball could not get his gear and rekkids through canadian customs. There was some other dude on the 'wheels of steel'. Perhaps this was the missing magic ingredient that woulda turned my frown upside down. [Roll Eyes] I am all for raising money for access projects so I will refrain from making more negative comments. I hope the Vantage and Smith Rock events are enjoyable for all. [rockband]

-

[ 09-16-2002, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: fern ]

quote:

Originally posted by matt warfield:

For those that don't know, Kurt started out as a staunch ground up trad climber before getting into sport climbing. And Vantage has lots of nice cracks with nary a bolt for those inclined.

Kurt was the most prominent to turn Rifle, CO into a chipped out outdoor gym by drilling huge pockets and turning a potential 14+ into a 13a too. I guess when trads go bad they do it in a big way [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by Muir on Saturday:

wtf? the guy at the top is tom stoppard and the guy at the bottom is on of the dr. who's - something baker i think. get it straight all right.

Well no shit. I'm just messing with Dwayner's psychotic fixation (and yours, apparently). But check out the doctor's goldline all flaked and ready to go. Dude's clearly a trad hardcore all the way.

Fern: I'm still dying over your cartoon. [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Kurt was the most prominent to turn Rifle, CO into a chipped out outdoor gym by drilling huge pockets and turning a potential 14+ into a 13a too. I guess when trads go bad they do it in a big way
[Roll Eyes]

I'd double-check your facts before you accuse folks of chipping. Yes, Kurt moved from being a trad-only climber to bolting stuff. . . like 10 years ago. No, that doesn't mean he is out chipping. Bolting and chipping aren't the same thing. Kurt has never chipped a route, never been accused of chipping routes by credible sources, and never spoken in favor of chipping routes. If you disagree with this, provide verifiable proof of same or retract your statement.

For those who feel the need to critique his current climbing style, I ask only one thing: repeat Electric Africa without in situ gear, as Kurt originally did the route: ground-up. Hey, you even get to make use of modern slick gear like slider nuts and stuff, unlike Kurt did.

If you ever get out of the hospital and can stil speak after the injuries heal, then you can diss on Kurt all you want. Until then, shut up.

Kurt has given more back to our sport (climbing in America, broadly defined) than all of the whiner crybabies that post on this site combined. He has tirelessly worked to raise funds for the Access Fund, which has done critical work across the country. Who else that is throwing stones at him here has raised a single goddamned dollar for the AF?

Sorry, but I get really upset when folks sit back in their armchair and crap all over folks who are out there doing good work. Jealously is painful to watch. If I were 1/10 the climber - and citizen of the climbing world - that Kurt is, I'd be damned proud indeed.

Show respect for the leaders in our sport; to do less simply marks you as a bitter ingrate. Kids today. . .

Peace,

D-d0g