Great Unclimbed Faces

layton

What's left that isn't reported as total crap (example -Yak Peak)? Luna is one, but Beckey says of no interest in the red book. So what have you guys heard through the grapevine, or seen yourself that you don't want to keep secret (PM me if you do and need a partner).

Let's get the list going...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by slothrop:

Would you trust Beckey that an unclimbed face is "uninteresting"?

He has been known to say things were not worth doing just to keep the rest of us from doing things. It is hard to do a thing knowing that it was a thing, in FB's words 'not recommended', and yet, it was, well, er, sublime. And it was exactly the thing he said was bad, not a variation on that thing. He's a pain in the behind, but one not lacking in a sense of humor.

For those about to Fred, we salute you.

[rockband]

quote:

Originally posted by michael_layton:

Looks like Mt Habrich, Dru.

Anyway, good info, dunno about the E.Face of McMillian.

What else, I'm not asking for secret unclimbed stuff, cuz obviously It's secret!

Habrich is steeper than that. It looks like Darrington to me.

NE face of Tower only has one (Doorish/Burdo/Cudcowicz) route?

This is the East Face of Three Fingers. I believe the only route that has been completed on the face itself follows that snow ramp you see trending up and right (it does not simply end in the middle of nowhere below the South Finger, as it appears in ths photograph, but actually continues to the top of the face).

-

I am not sure if that is what I saw. I hikeed up the old SCP trail and it might be it but not sure. I remember the pocket glaciers being bigger and the slabs larger as well. I think I was looking at something else? Maybe to the left? or something else completely.

[ 09-16-2002, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

I bet you were looking at Three Fingers. After you pass below Squire Creek Wall (all Granite without any glacier at all), there are some short walls along the crest near Salish Peak, but the only big mountain wall is the East Face of Three Fingers. The granite of the lower portion of the face is not really shown in the photograph above.

golden horn looks pretty sweet from across the valley. i don't know how bad the rock can be, everything else around there is at least decent. (he says, trying to conceal the sandbag behind his back). on the summit of hardy, we found a film cannister with a note in it saying someone had done a complete ridge traverse from GH to Hardy over Methow Pass - that sounded neat.

Well, if we're gonna talk East Face of Three Fingers, how about East Face of Whitehorse? My sole knowledge is the picture in the Green Beckey, almost makes it look banded, but definitely interesting. There's also Peak SomeNumberOrOther NE of Black Peak with a bigish face, but rock quality would be an open question.