need a climbing car

neswstar

My old Nissan truck snugtop.gifneeds to much work to justify keeping. I loved the bed to sleep in and the 4wd, tough tires and nice chains. ( okay so maybe some people thought I was dike when my hair was really short - but so what).

I now need to replace - but I'm on a budget - can not afford new ( need under $10k). Need good gas milage cause the mountains are too far away. Would also like to sleep in the back and have something that can handle ski season road conditions.

Thinking about a Honda CR-V or a RAV4 but have not seen them yet. Any words of advice or suggesions?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like you need a sooooobaru or a toyota wagon. can sleep in the back (if about 6' or under), better gas than a truck and handle better in snow.

If you are looking for good gas milage stay away from 4 wheel drive. I dont have it never have and I just drive a little slower than others, I have never had a problem. If there is that much snow on the roads, you cant fucking climb anything anyway. Definatly stay away from subarus if you want gas milage because they suck gas. YOu might want to look at a jetta TDI wagon.

SUBARU HAS REASONABLE MILEAGE the_finger.gif The only time the mileage seems bad is if you compare it to a Honda Civic or Tercel or some sort of commuter car.

As for "climbing car" - if you want to climb in the Alpine in BC you need a SUV or pickup for the clearance getting over crossditches and waterbars on deactivated logging roads. Other than that get whatever has reliability and mileage.

Diesels get OK mileage but at the expense of high particulate etc. emissions. Don't get all "Look at me I'm green" if you have a diesel.

Definatly stay away from subarus if you want gas milage because they suck gas.

Bullshit I can go 400 kms on a 30 liter tank in a 90 Subaru Legacy

The 1990 legacy 4wd gets a stated milage of 25 mpg. The stated milage is always a conservative estimate. you are claiming 31 mpg. I call bullshit. Assuming that is that you do have the legacy 4wd. Even if you dont, the 2wd version still only gets 28 mpg.

So I call bullshit and stick with my claim the subarus get shitty gas milage.

SUBARU HAS REASONABLE MILEAGE the_finger.gif The only time the mileage seems bad is if you compare it to a Honda Civic or Tercel or some sort of commuter car.

As for "climbing car" - if you want to climb in the Alpine in BC you need a SUV or pickup for the clearance getting over crossditches and waterbars on deactivated logging roads. Other than that get whatever has reliability and mileage.

Diesels get OK mileage but at the expense of high particulate etc. emissions. Don't get all "Look at me I'm green" if you have a diesel.

Actually newer deisels that are properly maintained have very little particulate emissions.

Actually newer deisels that are properly maintained have very little particulate emissions.

Diesels always have higher particulates than gas engines.

The Passat TDI is being rereleased. It ain't a cheap car anymore (friend's Passat wagon feels like an Audi) - bit to posh for a "climber's car". Most late model used VW TDI's carry a (too high) premium IMHO.

Diesels always have higher particulates than gas engines.

I did not try to say that they have lower particulates than gasoline, and if you have a well tuned deisel and a crappy gasoline engine then your statement above is not true. In addition you should not forget that Gasoline is much more refined than deisel fuels, which in effect just places the extra polution at the refinery rather than the tail pipe. I am not trying to say the deisels are the end all be all of green vehicals, the are definatly not, but they do get much better gas milage, and they are not the foul smelling black smoke spewing vehicals they used to be.

Definatly stay away from subarus if you want gas milage because they suck gas.

Bullshit I can go 400 kms on a 30 liter tank in a 90 Subaru Legacy

The 1990 legacy 4wd gets a stated milage of 25 mpg. The stated milage is always a conservative estimate. you are claiming 31 mpg. I call bullshit. Assuming that is that you do have the legacy 4wd. Even if you dont, the 2wd version still only gets 28 mpg.

So I call bullshit and stick with my claim the subarus get shitty gas milage.

Those are the actual statistics based on owning it for 3 years. Fill with gas = 30 liters...Ok it's actually 32. Full tank - drive for 400 kms. Its 400 kms Chilliwack to Squamish and return and I'm just dipping into the E zone when I turn off the highway in Chilliwack coming home from Squamish.

I am not trying to say the deisels are the end all be all of green vehicals, the are definatly not, but they do get much better gas milage, and they are not the foul smelling black smoke spewing vehicals they used to be.

That's all well and good(and I knew someone would nitpick) Getting down to brass tacks, VW TDI's weren't/aren't California (or any of the other CARB states) emissions compliant, so someone else thinks they pollute more.

Buy a Honda Accord Wagon. Run's for ever, good fuel economy. Isn't as "climber" as a subaru though.

Passat TDI's were re-released in 2004.

As for emissions, here is what one site had to say: "turbo direct injection (TDI) diesel, is available as an option everywhere except in the five states that adhere to California emissions standards. In 2006, it’s available there too [due to reduced sulfur fuels required in 2006]. Contrary to what you may be hearing from the anti-diesel crowd, the TDI is an extremely clean engine if it is fed clean fuel. VW engineers maintain it is cleaner even than VW’s own 4.2L gasoline V-8. Quieter too they claim."

The only part of the Cali emissions test that the TDI fails is the test for nitrogen oxide.

I get better gas mileage (burn less to reach my destination), use a fuel which requires fewer resources to refine and meet all emission standards except one. I think thats a pretty good deal overall and am confident that I pollute less than most cars. Additionally, diesel motors require less maintenance and last longer, thereby reducing enviro impact even more.

Subies are awesome...I've got a 2000 Forester....its cheap to own and gets great gas mileage...easy to maintain...all wheel drive is awesome if you already know how to drive in the ice and snow....its as high off the ground as the CRV or RAV4 but has more cargo space...I'm little so sleeping in the back isn't a problem but if you're under 6' you're still good....I get about 28 mpg in town and 32 on the freeway....just my humble opinion.