Beautiful Day to fly around in Helicopters

troubleski

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is RURP:

"had many great days. made good friends "and went places I never would have found. if it were not for the mountaineers. They are some things , true. but hey . quite knocking the mountaineers.

It is called being lost. I'll QUITE knocking the mountaineers but I won't QUIT knocking them because I find them to be regularly annoying.

SK...Right now I am peeing on a tree as I am thinking about sex. [Roll Eyes]

RURP has spoken.

quote:

Originally posted by RURP:

This is RURP:

"had many great days. made good friends
"and went places I never would have found.
if it were not for the mountaineers. They are some things , true. but hey .
quite knocking the mountaineers.

It is called being lost. I'll QUITE knocking the mountaineers but I won't QUIT knocking them because I find them to be regularly annoying.

SK...Right now I am peeing on a tree as I am thinking about sex.
[Roll Eyes]

RURP has spoken.

RURP, if that tree is a slippery elm you might just get lucky! [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:

quote:

Originally posted by Thinker:

...recovering Mounties...

?

Is there a 12-step program for that?

They are fairly easy to spot. Those in early recovery wear their helmets with their name and last initial written on masking tape. It's an anonymous program, ya know? [big Grin]

Not everbody is fortunate enough to be able to know someone with experience to help teach climbing to a beginner. Would you guys rather these people go at it on their own and learn the wrong way? If you don't like the groups go somewhere else. Although I have to pay to use the mountains last I checked the mountains were no more mine than theirs.

quote:

Originally posted by PONCHO&LEFTY:

Not everbody is fortunate enough to be able to know someone with experience to help teach climbing to a beginner. Would you guys rather these people go at it on their own and learn the wrong way? If you don't like the groups go somewhere else. Although I have to pay to use the mountains last I checked the mountains were no more mine than theirs.

EXACTLY most of the climbs they do in large groups are climbs most of us wouldn't be caught dead on. OK, OK, so it's fun to climb The Tooth sometimes, and I know for a fact Cavey's fav route is on Mountaineers Buttress in the Icicle, but they really don't get in the way too often. And they do teach people to belay well.

wanting to be clear here! I don't have any personal problem with anyone.... I have even consodered joining the mounties or the like as I have run into some snags learning what I would like to learn next (can you all say, "sk is chicken shit"? just checking [Wink] ) I was just pointing out that there are people here on this site that will give whoever they want, shit, whenever they want [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by karen:

had many great days. made good friends and went places I never would have found. if it were not for the mountaineers. They are some things , true. but hey . quite knocking the mountaineers

awesome karen!!!!

i climb with one mtneer and we always have a great time!!!!! she is dialed in her skillz and always ready to learn new stuff!!

i have even climbed big wallz with her!!!

i used to think i had an issue with them, but then i thought about it and wonder what it was....couldnt come up with anything.....at all......

have fun and be safe!

[big Drink][Cool]

The only real issue I see is that they mount up on the close, fun, easy climbs.....exactly where they should be, and where they're expected to be. When encountered on the more remote or difficult climbs they pretty much act like any other climbing team....

Sometimes they even provide a little bit o humor for surrounding climbers.

All IMHO, of course.

PS...I climb with a couple of recovering Mounties, too.

[ 09-13-2002, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Thinker ]

Ooohhh... I feel a good thread coming on here. We have both the Mounties and Fee Demo going at the same time. I guess the only thing that is missing is the REI climbing dept.

But yeah, don't pay for forest passes. An idea I recently heard (but havn't seen the results of yet) is to scan a forest pass in and laser print as many as you need on heavy-stock paper. Voila! Though, this is somewhat dodging the issue as it will still be another car apparently 'supporting' the program.

As for the Mounties... yes I've met some cool ones, on the Tooth no less. My beef is with the way that they show up in herds (of mountainsteers) and monopolize crags. Some (definitely not all) of the leaders are somewhat yahoo-ish. I guess my main beef is a result of dislike of touchy-feely group led activities. [Roll Eyes]

Hey, is it possible to buy a forest pass at REI, use it and return it saying that you are disappointed in the product, and is it still under warranty? [laf]

How 'bout this idea to minorly monkeywrench the NW Forest Pass:

We could have a sorta NWFP "coop". Surely many of you have these things already by paying for them or working for them. If you're not going to be in the mountains for a week or so, let us know on this bulletin board, then people could borrow your pass. Perhaps for a fee of $3 or something more friendly like a fine beer/day [big Drink] . This would result in less tickets, less passes bought, thus less money for the program.

By the way, if you really want to get a pass, may I suggest going the do-trail-work method of obtaining one. That way all of what you give actually goes to the trail maintenance. None goes to pay for enforcing the pass program. None goes to the general fund to buy bombs (or give money to indigent mothers).

ChucK, you are getting dangerously close to encouraging people to be pro-active there...

Maybe someone should just print out a shitload of copies of the pass (easy enough to fudge the serial number in photoshop) and post them on their favorite TH sign with a big FREE label on it. Larry would have fun tracking all of those down. Flood the market.

Forging a pass might keep them from giving you a ticket maybe, but it doesn't solve the problem. Seems like the only way you are going to make an impact is to not have any pass displayed, whether forged or not. Only by seeing large quantities of non-compliance will they get the message.

Have you written a letter to your senators and representatives today? Here is a thought, instead of one day of dishing out spray on cc.com, how about everyone put their writing skills to a good cause by crafting a letter to your congressmen and senators. Then send it.

Bitching to each other about the Fee Demo program doesn't result in change. But if we tell the folks in Washington DC what we think, maybe we can make it go away. I've thought maybe we could try to get our state legislature to pass a resolution against it too. Such a resolution could at least draw attention to the fact it isn't universally supported (like New Hampshire, California, Colorado).

[ 09-16-2002, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: mtnnut ]