• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
BreezyD

Helens' Changing Landscape

Cool - just a couple of days and the new lava dome is already as tall as the old one! It will be interesting to look down into the crater and see what's changed.

I just hope they don't close the mountain for climbing for years after that like they did after 1980's eruption.

drC

Last night on the snooze they showed a new 60' spire sticking straight up out of one of the domes!

"Last one to the top is a rotten e........ AAAAHHHH.... the lava burns..... it's hot.... AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

And if I have to hear that stupid-ass statement of "red hot magma" one more time on the snooze........ rolleyes.gif

what, you don't think it'll be hot, or are you just a non-fan of descriptive language?

I just hope they don't close the mountain for climbing for years after that like they did after 1980's eruption.

drC

The reason it was closed for so long afterwards is because the mountain was having periodic steam eruptions and dome-building lava flows untill 1986 or so (pretty much the same scenario we have today)....

Maybe if St. Helens continues at this rate it will grow as tall as Rainier in a couple years.... or maybe taller the_finger.gif

what, you don't think it'll be hot, or are you just a non-fan of descriptive language?

I'm a non-fan of REDUNDANT statements! "Oh, you say that it's magma.... AND it's red hot?" Well DUH! confused.gif

I'm a non-fan of REDUNDANT statements! "Oh, you say that it's magma.... AND it's red hot?" Well DUH! confused.gif

You are most unique in that regard.