Road-Ragers for Kerry

Greg_W

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is, how has America gotten to the point where this type of activity is acceptable? This year is the first time I EVER saw candidate signs defaced or vandalized in any way.

1999, Rochester, NY

Drunken 50 year old man removes 200 political signs from median of roads in Rochester suburb. Local DJ raises $1k for bail for drunken man from listeners who agreed with his actions.

Just out of curiosity, I did some google searches related to people with Kerry bumper stickers / yard signs being harrassed. Found plenty. Esp. disturbing were the ones where employees were threatened with job loss by politicized employers. Now there's love you can feel.

WTF is your point Greg?

My point is, how has America gotten to the point where this type of activity is acceptable?

It's not. Duh. Road rage has nothing to do with politics. rolleyes.gif

The specific incident that prompted this thread WAS politically-motivated, as the perpetrator went on and on about the victim's choice of candidates (as advertised by his bumper sticker).

Yes, but this is not acceptable. Rather, it was an excuse for some asshole to be an asshole.

Out of curiosity, why would removing somebody's signs from the median be illegal? Technically, it's just litter if its on public land its just as much my right to remove them as it is somebody else's right to place them there.

Edited by JoshK

Out of curiosity, why would removing somebody's signs from the median be illegal? Technically, it's just litter if its on public land its just as much my right to remove them as it is somebody else's right to place them there.

Based on your logic, I would think you have much more of a right to remove them than those who put them there, provided you cleaned them up and didn't throw them somewhere else where you'd be littering. I'm all for it! Let's clean up our backyard!

Campaign signs are not allowed on the county's right-of-way

King County's sign regulations prohibit any signs, posters, bills or other advertising devices, including political campaign signs, on the county's right-of-way, public easements, public property or utility poles — with a few exceptions.

The King County Code (21A.20.120C, “Political Signs”) allows such signs when they have been have been specifically permitted for traffic management and safety purposes. These are real estate open house signs (the agent or owner must be on-site) and directional signs granted by special-use permit.

The county may remove and dispose of any other sign posted in the road right-of-way.

Political campaign signs are allowed on private property

Political campaign signs may be displayed on private property with the property owner's consent. Any such signs, posters or bills must be removed within 10 days after the election. Although the campaign may agree to remove any sign, the property owner is ultimately responsible for compliance with the removal policy.

What is the road right-of-way?

The road right-of way includes the paved road and a strip of land, usually on either side of the road, that is reserved for shoulders, drainage ditches, sidewalks, traffic signs, electrical traffic signal control boxes, utility lines and future road expansion. Because the width of the right-of-way varies, King County often receives complaints about campaign signs inadvertently placed on public right-of-way. In some cases, the right-of-way extends only a short distance beyond the paved roadway — perhaps just past the shoulder. In other cases, the right-of-way may extend well into what appears to be someone's front yard.

The right-of-way boundary is an invisible line that may not be possible to identify without detailed legal maps and a formal survey. Property owners may not know the exact right-of-way boundary and may have maintained, landscaped or fenced this area.

When in doubt about the location of the right-of-way boundary, post the campaign sign on private property well past the point of uncertainty.