Stuart NR approach?

woland

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

However the snow isn't that steep so you could slide (perhaps slide isn't the best word usage there) by with a nut tool or sharp rock...

but before you decide to do that go read a couple years of ANAM and decide for yourself weather that is really something you want to do.

We did it in July last year. As that picture shows, it's fairly steep snow up high, then there's a huge flat runout at the bottom. We didn't have crampons, but did have axes. In hindsight we didn't need the axes (the snow was very soft), but they were nice to have (useful on CC descent too), and I wouldn't count on the snow being that soft again.

Looks like you can probably downclimb some ugly rock to avoid the steepest part?

Why are you doing the East variation? Is it your goal to bypass the only interesting pitches? I'll bet you change your mind when you see it.

Thanks for the photo. The picture is taken from the ridge, pointing west, right?

From glacier but yes facing west.

I would say the bottom line is this: everyone has a different comfort level on snow which is based on how much physical time you have had on snow. I would venture a guess that your comfort level on snow with sneakers on isn't at a point that will allow you to sneak by without an ice ax. Take an ice ax. Look at the forecast and if the freezing level is lower than the pass elevation take crampons (this is very rare in the cascades this time of year). Personally I would say belay the first down: have him her use only a nut tool for balance and if they do slip the belay will prevent a run away. At end of ropelength have second come down with the one ice axe you brought. If they slip they can self arrest with the ax. Repeat until on flat portion of glacier.

Finally on weekends when it rains (like last weekend) go practice running around on steep snow with sneakers and a nut tool. Become comfortable in sneakers.

Well, as only a few posters picked up on, the inquiry is about the COMPLETE north ridge, and an axe or crampons won't be needed to get on the ridge. I think the crux of the biscuit is which descent is intended, and how does that slope after the false summit look these days? The two times I've descended, once it was dry as a bone and the other it was 2" of slush over hard snow with a bad runout. Also, if you're going down Sherpa Couloir this time of year, bring both.

Off, If he/she is planning on approaching from Teanaway, then there usually is a snowfield on the North side of Goat Pass. I think that's what Woland is asking about, "Is there still any snow there; and if so, do I need dee-vices?"

As for the snow in the Cascadian: if there is any, it can be avoided. One can hike down the buttress that comes off the false summit and separates the Cascadian from Ulrich's. Then, once below the snowfield, one can downclimb or rap into the Cascadian.