4 Days in the North Cascades?

eternalX

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd still go in and try Challenger. If nothing else you'll have some firsthand knowledge of a N. Picket route that will serve you well on a more ambitious future trip.

Redoubt and Spickard makes a nice 4 day trip, although mostly slogging. How about Dorado needle or the Dome traverse? The west arete of Eldorado? That's a bit tougher (5.8, grade IV). The NE butt. of Goode?

-t

I would agree with the challenger thing. It is a great peak in a great area. As far as goode goes, I would agree that that is a good objective, but if you are thinking on going there soon, I would caution you that getting on to the glacier could be a major obstical unless you are comfortable climbing vertical ice seracs that look like they are about to collapse.

Oh these would be the same friends who have all the other problems too?

"Yeah doc, I'm calling for my friend, see, cause he's too embarasssed to ask a doctor directly about his a) premature ejaculation problem b) impotence c) sheep lust or d) all of the above"

Tim:

Just to clarify are you asking if this is still a good idea because the conditions (icy, scree) would:

1) make the traverse unenjoyable or

2) would take more than 4 days

(1) Though not really unenjoyable, just less enjoyable. I'm picturing almost entire days spent sliding around on scree fields, then stepping carefully over hard, blue ice glaciers

Its just different. I've done it on primarily snow to travel, and also over labor day weekend last year when it was less snow. The scree can be tedious in a few spots (principally between Spider Formidible col and Yang Yang lakes) but does not detract from where you are.

Alex

Tim:

Fair enough... to each their own however I would argue that the scree on the traverse is much more solid than the scree on the mountains that are generally climbed as a part of the traverse... so if you can't stand the travel portion definitely don't bother with the climbing portion.