smartwool socks

Gary_Yngve

I bought a couple pair of Smartwool full-bootlength socks a year ago from Sierra Trading Post. I wear size 9-10 shoes, so I bought size 9-11.5 socks. Especially when I'm skiing or frontpointing, the ankles tend to slip down, leaving about 3-4 inches of sock bunched at the toes by the end of the day. I'm also noticing some thinning and tearing on the lateral ankle part of the sock that seems abnormal to me.

I can't return them to Sierra Trading Post where I bought them because it's been a full year. I called Smartwool and the customer service lady jerked me around before finally giving me a shipping address to send the socks (but no guarantees on if I'll get replacements (in a better size?).

Anyone had any luck with Smartwool's customer service?

Or noticed any similar issues with their socks and sizing?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that it helps to buy socks several sizes smaller than what's written on the package. The right size socks always end up too loose and sloppy and get bunched up in weird places over a day's hike. I wear a women's size 7 shoe, and the most comfy socks are the ones where the package says size 4-5 or something like that. Smartwool kids socks work great for me, and save a few bucks. This is one of the few instances where it's nice to be a midget. wink.gif

I've had no problems with all my pairs. How long do you expect a pair of socks to last? For regular use, a year is a fairly long time for a pair of socks to last.

I have six pair that I've rotated through the year. Suppose I've been spending 6 days in the mountains per month. Then you're saying a pair of socks is shot after wearing them a dozen times?

Gary, I have had a couple pairs of SW socks and wasn't pleased with them. After two months of climbing they were threadbare in the toes and heel. As for the sizing goes, I'm not the one to ask since I am a few standard deviations above the mean. Since I wear out socks so quickly I have switched to the REI merino wool socks. For about $8-10/pair (and quantity discount) that saves me some money for duty free shopping.

Gary, I have had a couple pairs of SW socks and wasn't pleased with them. After two months of climbing they were threadbare in the toes and heel. As for the sizing goes, I'm not the one to ask since I am a few standard deviations above the mean. Since I wear out socks so quickly I have switched to the REI merino wool socks. For about $8-10/pair (and quantity discount) that saves me some money for duty free shopping.

Sam thing happened to me. They were shot after a few months, especially in the toes and heel. I've tried them all, and had pretty much the same results with all of them.

I've had the same problems with smartwool socks. They're sized too big according to the package. They also seem to get longer when they're damp. I've had the entire sock get sucked into my boots. They also were pretty much shot after one season.

I use Patagonia socks now. I'm still using the same 3 pairs I wore on Denali in '98 and they're hardly worn at all. Amazing.