Cool New Mag! Alpinist

chelle

Just back from the Outdoor Retailer Show. Lots and lots of cool stuff to drool over. One new item is a magazine called Alpinist. They put together a prepublication first issue to show what they're about.

It has 30 something pages, no adds. This one focuses on the last season in Patagonia. It is really good. High quality pics and articles by the climbers who were doing hard alpine routes last season.

According to the guy in their booth, they are planning to publish 4 times a year. Will be about 70 pages long and will limit each issue to no more than 10 full page ads.

Since we all complain about the two main climbing rags, I thought you'd all like the heads up on this one. The only downside is the price, $46/year. But then if the advertisers aren't going to be given the opportunity to pay for publication, I guess we climbers will have to.

www.alpinist.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the one that is Christian Beckwiths new job after he got fired as AAJ editor and is only gonna feature climbs that are grade IV or longer...

and RedHat owner dude is their major sponsor...

cause lets face it the alpinist market is the smallest climber market for every alpinist there is 10 sport climbers and 20 boulderers

sounds like an excuse to burn money...i wish them well but i bet they are gonna crash just like the last 3 magazines called Alpinist, and Alpinism did...

i mean what is the point of a magazine that is basically just a serial version of the AAJ... i dont see the point any more than i see the point of Vbouldering magazine actually.

Why such a skeptic, Dru? Yep, they may crash and burn. But hell they're willing to put it out there to try to do something quality.

So they're featuring the hard stuff. The other two mags do that and also alot of boring (to me) bouldering and indoor comp stuff. Many of us aspire to do harder alpine routes and reading stories about climbs by the climbers who are out there pushing the limits is nice for a change.

The AAJ only comes out once a year. Having something more often will be nice if the thing actually succeeds.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

seems kinda like that "Summit" magazine from a few years back.

except Summit was about outdoor clothing, slot canyons, guided slogs in the rockies, and hiking to muir hut not badass grade IV and harder routes.

ehmmic I cant help but be skeptical cause i have seen the concept previously tried and resoundingly fail... what is different now that will let it succeed?

I picked up a copy at the Summer Market. It's a slick mag with the price tag to match ($12.95/issue. A Subscription gets you four per year). Its style is similar to the late Elevation magazine: lots of big photos, and not a lot of text. I predict a similarly short lifespan. The cover was cute, though: Leo Houlding crying like a baby after breaking his leg. Can't the British do SOMETHING about their public dental programs?

what's up with all the harsh talk about a mag that you haven't even seen dru? go ahead and spray about me now for having a different opinion than you... but i would like to see it first...personally i like the sounds of a big picture and lil' caption mag with only 10 pages of ads....last i checked, the alternative have like 1/2 their pages dedicated to ads...but i dont think i will ever get the chance to read this mag as it costs about what i make a week...

quote:

Originally posted by RedMonk:

what's up with all the harsh talk about a mag that you haven't even seen dru? go ahead and spray about me now for having a different opinion than you... but i would like to see it first...personally i like the sounds of a big picture and lil' caption mag with only 10 pages of ads....last i checked, the alternative have like 1/2 their pages dedicated to ads...but i dont think i will ever get the chance to read this mag as it costs about what i make a week...

if someone told me they were going into the restaurant business selling nothing but horsecock and Gu I would predict that their restaurant, no matter how good the service and decor, would fail pretty fast. Not cause I hated them but just a statement of the facts.

same deal with a climbing mag selling nothing but 'Hard' alpinism. the market is too limited. they're gonna crash and burn once mr. red hat deep pockets gets tired of supporting a money losing business.

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:

Unlesss. . . .they add a 30 page "Women of Alpinism" spread of hot alpine girls cranking M10 in bikinis.

Polish mountain mama Ljudmilla Agentorangekova offers this tip to aspiring alpinistas like herself: "You do not need expensive Western fleece clothings. Girls, just throw away your razors and waxings, and you vill stay PLENTY hot..."

• 3 weeks later...