Trango Extreme S

DirtyHarry

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this boot. I've been using a pair since January and they've been great for ice climbing and mountaineering. They are sufficiently thin enough so that you are not relegated to using only your from points when WI climbing, yet are super sturdy when from pointing. Also, they edge like a dream on rock.

I have to say that I usually don't get cold feet, so that hasn't been a problem for me. If you tend to get cold feet I would probably go with the Nepal Extreme or similar.

The Trango Extremes have really stiff shanks which makes them really tough on your feet for long hiking approaches. Also I have had a problem with the tongues rotating to the outside of the boot. I've also heard that other people have this problem, but I haven't heard of any way to prevent this.

Good luck with whatever boot you go with.

I have the Trango Extreme S (the red ones)...

And I think they are the Shiznit! I've done a lot of water fall ice climbing with them, mostly roadside single pitch stuff. With the right crampon they are awsome...so light weight (I use the G14).

They aren't waterproof though, so if you are climbing drippy water ice all day (Lilooet)...they start to soak through.

I've climbed a few mountains with them, from the N Ridge of Stuart to Mt Shasta...and think they are an awesome all arounder. they have laot of rocker so they are comfortable to hike in, yet still stiff.

I also use them for an aid climbing boot sometimes. But they it's hard on them...so I try not too.

Never had a problem with tounge slippage or blisters. The toung has a slit in it that you can thread the laces through...

They wear quickly. I'd say that is the main disadvantage....yet I still haven't wore mine out, far from it.

Relatively cheap too. thumbs_up.gif

I get blisters from the heel cup in my Trango Ices, but not the S'. The S' are not holding up very well- they are a few months old and have some stiching torn out and the kevlar stuff keeps fuzzing up, despite my 'fixing' it with a lighter. The rock climb really well and are super light. A Goretex oversock is my solution to the lack of waterproofness.

YMMV

I get blisters from the heel cup in my Trango Ices, but not the S'. The S' are not holding up very well- they are a few months old and have some stiching torn out and the kevlar stuff keeps fuzzing up, despite my 'fixing' it with a lighter. The rock climb really well and are super light. A Goretex oversock is my solution to the lack of waterproofness.

YMMV

That's what seamseal is for...use it before you take them out the first time.

yep, it's really for all those $600 dollar tents!

Seriously though, ever since they stopped making boots out of one piece of leather they've been compromising the longevity of the boot. 10 minutes with a $5 tube of seam grip will keep those seems tight and unfrayed for much longer. I did this to one of my aid boots, got bored with it and didn't do the other. About 30 pitches later that boot was shot, while the other looked pristine. Live by the seamgrip, die by the seamgrip is what I always say. tongue.gif

yep, it's really for all those $600 dollar tents!

Seriously though, ever since they stopped making boots out of one piece of leather they've been compromising the longevity of the boot. 10 minutes with a $5 tube of seam grip will keep those seems tight and unfrayed for much longer. I did this to one of my aid boots, got bored with it and didn't do the other. About 30 pitches later that boot was shot, while the other looked pristine. Live by the seamgrip, die by the seamgrip is what I always say. tongue.gif

Coach at practice rock was going off about this once. Claimed he invented the idea when he was working at North Face and then they stole the idea from him yellaf.gif

Just to be clear: It isn't the stitching that is degrading on the side of my boots, its the kevlar material itself.

The stiching that is torn out is where the outside heel-back material meets the inside heel-back material.

Here comes the seamgrip, though it won't be nearly as fun as doing two Bibler tents in a small garage.

mushsmile.gif

Lambone, I think the red ones are the Trango S - they look like a great all around boot, but I'm looking more at the Trango Extreme S or the Trango Ice. Guess I need to venture into the big city and do some field testing.

ooops, yeah gotcha.

welll, I have a pair of those too, and they work just as well. I really enjoy ice climbing and general mountaineering in them. Did Shasta with them this summer and didn't have any problems with blisters.

Just make sure they fit good.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Jury are out and the Raichle All Degree are Winner! I used them on Rainier yesterday and they were broken in after only 2 miles

Pro:

REALLY comfortable, Really LITE, Kicking steps was a comfortable task with them, Really warm (Gore-Tex) but fairly cool on the lower trail (stream crossing was not a problem even when I had my boot immersed calf high in the water

Con:

ALLOT of Seams!!! MUST seam seal the boots with Seam Grip (DO NOT USE SIL-NET) or Durability WILL be an issue (but hay…that is why these boots are SOOOOOOO comfortable)