Who wears glasses?

ketch

I had one of those interesting discoveries yesterday. I have never been on a glacier with anyone who wears prescription glasses only (a couple that I think wore contacts). So anyway now I am supposed to take some newbies up the C-D and one of them can't see without her glasses. What do those of you that wear prescriptions use on the snow? Do I need to tell her to buy custom glasses or ski goggles or what? I'm thinkin that she may or may not continue with the alpine or ice so she's not liking the idea of custom glacier glasses.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear glasses and use prescription glacier glasses but I also have a pair of sunglasses that work in a pinch. I just put duct-tape side panels on them. They do have to have max UV protection and be pretty dark. Photo-grays are not enough. She could also get a pair of those drugstore inserts that curve around the face. Or she could go without and permanently damage her night vision.

superdark overglasses from an optometrist (the kind you see see seniors wear) or glacier overgoggles (look like welders goggles) still available at MEC, I believe. both should be under twenty bucks. She could also go ask her optometrist what's a good idea.

When REI stopped selling the glacier overgoggles, I knew they had gone over to the dark side.

If she's willing to give contacts a shot, she can probably go to her eye doctor and get a couple free trial pairs of short term wear contacts...might be a cheaper option if she doesn't want to spring for prescription sunglasses.

There are some great contacts out now, like the Ciba Night & Day contacts, that breathe so well you don't have to take them out at night and can leave them in your eyes for weeks on end, I wore one pair for three weeks straight on a trip once...no need to hassle with figuring out how to keep your contact case from freezing at night or how to get your hands clean enough to deal with your lenses.

Edited by pete_a

I wear glasses. I have two pairs of polarized prescript. sunglasses that I consider multi-use. The lighter pair is my driving/snowfield glasses, and the darker pair is my "sitting in bright sunlight"/"glacier" glasses.

Even though the UV knockdown is nowhere near the recommended %ages for glacier glasses, I haven't had a problem. The polarization is the key. You can get these bendable plastic side shields at most most reputable climb shops, and even REI, for a few bucks.

I think Lenscrafters hit me for a about c-note for each pair - RayBans for what it's worth.

-t

MEC sells overgoggles...according to spray master Dru they are dark enough for glacier walking. This is probably the cheapest solution for your friend. Best long term solution is prescription glasses. However, if the prescription is too strong, your friend might be stuck with overgoggles.

Thanks for the input. It sounds like overglasses are the way to go. I'm sure I have climbed with other glasses wearers. They have all had their own and I didn't really pay attention.

This gal leaves for New york in the fall and her climbing future is questionable so I think she will go for the overglasses unless I can talk her into the duct tape shields. Might happen, she thought my duct tape and tyvek footprint was the bomb laugh.gif

Goggles are grim for spec wearers. I won't even burn in them unless I'm indoors, for outdoorsy stuff they add multiple layers to fog, get cruddy, etc. I use "pretty darn dark" grade prescription sunglasses & they work in all seasons on snow. In the extremes I add little side shields made from athletic tape the better to resemble the dork I am.

I've always intended to get a pair of groovy glacier frames & have lenses made for them but never got around to it.

I seriously recommend the "hooky" ear grabbers for climbing type stuff so your specs are always in the same general location that you are.

MEC sells these excellent perscription shade systems (I thiunk they are called the MAX sunglasses). You buy the front shield (pick your colour) and the optical insert. Take the insert to the optometrist and for about $60 they put in your perscription. This system allows you to use one optical insert and as many colours/densities of shiled as youwant-- I have a dark grey, an orange, and a clear. The best system, and it rocks for cycling etc too. The complete set-up (frame, 2 shields, insert, lenses for insert) costs you about $120. CHeaper and much more versatile than getting perscription shades (of which you need to have at least two pairs for long days).

chris

You want these:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=673693&PRODUCT<>prd_id=575533&bmUID=1090997909366

and these

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=673693&PRODUCT<>prd_id=575537&bmUID=1090997899138

...and I have five or six pairs of perscription sunglasses, a couple of them glacier glasses, at a bill or two per pair, but for a person needing inexpensive eye protection for one glacier climb, fitovers are the way to go. The MEC ones are way more stylish than they used to be, but will still make a person look like a refugee from a bass fishing competition.

Someone on a backpacking list pointed these out a while ago - they look pretty much the same as Performance Bike's Radial II cycling glasses (www.performancebike.com). What would worry me is that I'm not sure what kind of light transmission the lenses have. EDIT: oh never mind, they list the light transmission for each kind of lens.

btw Personally I wear glacier glasses made as per these instructions:

http://www.climber.org/gear/glasses.html#eckert

I think Opticus offers a similar kind of lens.

Couple of thoughts. I am bind as a bat without my Rx glasses, but on a route on Rainier I find it difficult to believe that you really really NEED Rx glasses for the few days you are on the mountain. There are no signs to read, no driving to do. Just wear normal sunglasses. Yes, stuff will be blurry, and for people who grow up wearing corrective lenses that might take a few hours to get used to again. Take the Rx glasses if you must, wear Croakies to prevent loss, or if you are really nervous about loosing or breaking them take them along in a hard case and wear them in emergencies.

That said, in 1993 I sprung for a pair of prescription sunglasses because I like actually seeing stuff I look at in the mountains. (I've since lost that first pair and gotten a second pair.) This is a great way to go! Most health insurance plans will cover at least part of the cost.

For people who are unsure, getting a pair of cheap glacier glasses that fit overtop your Rx pair might work if you have small wirerims, but I've found these tend to fog up when exercising. The other option is "clip ons" which work in a pinch and are definitly better than nothing.

I am bind as a bat without my Rx glasses... Yes, stuff will be blurry,

Yeah, I'd be thrilled to let you lead out onto the glacier... rolleyes.gif

I'm going to nominate this for all-time worst advice. Sorry, but going up Rainier, even the trade routes, half-blind is asinine. Kind of like bringing your own whiteout with you.

I suppose it would offer some justification for the handicapped toilets...

-t

terrible_ted, perhaps "blind as a bat" was a poor choice of words on my part. For those people who wear glasses, they will know what I mean.

Ask yourself, ... do you need Rx glasses to hike up a trail like Granite Mountain? If you really do to see roots and rocks and to avoid stumbling on your face, then you will need them on Mt Rainier. If you don't need Rx glasses (because you can see 20-30 feet in front of you, but not read a sign at 200 ft), then you wont need them on Mt Rainer.

My vision is roughly 20/100. At my last eye exam, the doc. commented that this was fairly average myopia. I wouldn't consider Mountaineering without corrective lens. I carry spare glasses and contacts, and most of the myopics I know do the same.

Roughly 80% of your environmental stimulation comes visually. Visual acuity decreases with light levels. A pair of clip on lenses and some duct tape could be had for less than the cost of a Mountain Hut meal. For people that need corrective lens, and not "reading glasses", leaving them behind so that can "semi-blindly" wander up a glacier, trying to make out at 160 feet (how convenient - a rope length) what their partners can make out at 40 feet, is patently absurd. Here's a sign you might want to be able to read: Cornice Overhead here's another: "Subtly rippled snow - Crevasse

You seem earnest, otherwise I'd have just assumed this was a troll...

-t

I am earnest, actually. I have done alot of climbing and mountaineering with and without corrective lenses. In my initial post I tried to lay out some options for people who are unwilling to maybe spring for Rx sunglasses. I see now we are once again down to offering up credentials "I and my advice is trustworthy in this matter, that other fools is not!"

I could appreciate and respect your opinion that one should NOT go out without corrective lenses. I could even appreciate and respect that you might not want to climb with me, since you seem to think my judgement is off. Its too bad you can't do the same, thanks for trivializing my opinion!

Alex

Before my vision declined even further (& I got contact lenses) I used to ski & climb without prescription lenses - they aren't much use when they fog up. Contacts have eliminated the need for this.

FWIW people with 20/60 vision are allowed to drive in the daytime without corrective lenses.

MEC sells overgoggles...according to spray master Dru they are dark enough for glacier walking. This is probably the cheapest solution for your friend. Best long term solution is prescription glasses. However, if the prescription is too strong, your friend might be stuck with overgoggles.

fitovers are the best glacier glasses i have ever used, and you get 10 pairs for the price of 1 pair of prescription shades. thumbs_up.gif