Flying stoves

Jim

Help. I've had a bit of a problem lately travelling with a stove and fuel bottle through airports. I've had not problem getting into the country with an empty fuel bottle and a stove, but have now had 3 empty fuel bottles confiscated at the baggage check-in, twice in Salt Lake City, once in Boise. And I had to lie -no, no, no, I borrowed someone else's stove, I don't have one, not me.

The way they've explained it is that it the stove or bottle has ever had fuel in it then you cannot check it. I tried to bury the fuel bottle in the bottom of the pack, but I guess the profile is too obvious. Any one have some tricks to get past the new baggage x-ray machines?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try and distract the airline attendants by filling your pack with razors and ticking clocks and such. They may overlook the fuel bottles then. Seriously though, I've read that they won't allow a fuel bottle if its ever been used before but have never had anyone call me on it. Just don't volunteer any info, and wrap the thing with your underwear.

Ive never had any issues flying w/my pocket rocket. I usually buy fuel at the other end or mail it to myself if I think it might be a problem finding the proper canister. Only been asked once if I had a stove...the last time I flew out of seattle a few months ago. They were fine with my rocket when I showed it to them and explained there is no fuel in it. [Roll Eyes]

Now I DID have a problem with a caribiner on my water bottle in the detroit airport earlier in the year. I emptied two lighters and some change from my pocket in the little container, then my empty nalgene (w/biner attached). *POOF* gone it was! [Confused] Like the lighters couldnt do more damage on a flight?!!? Whatever!

Alaska ticket agent told me that as long as they couldn't smell fuel it was okay. I wash out bottles with cheap hotel shampoo, then if they ask tell them it's a water bottle. Even better, put the pack inside a duffel and the airlines don't even ask.

Terry

Hmmm. Maybe I just was just unlucky and had the trainees with eagle eyes checking my checked pack. Each time I was snagged after checking the pack, and they found it after it went through the mondo x-ray thing. Then they asked Vat iz dis!

When the baggage people start asking questions, thats when you get angry and make a scene. Pretty soon, you'll have security pinning you on the ground. Next thing you know, you're on national news, and a celebrity! 15 mintutes to fame, baby! Then come the book deals and the spot on "60 Minutes." All about you as a poor innocent climber who got kneed in the groin by the big nasty airport screeners. $$$ [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by Jim:

Hmmm. Maybe I just was just unlucky and had the trainees with eagle eyes checking my checked pack. Each time I was snagged after checking the pack, and they found it after it went through the mondo x-ray thing. Then they asked Vat iz dis!

That is when you hit the deck and yell. "WATCH OUT! IT'S GOING TO BLOW!". The security folks love that shit.