Kids' Rope-Up 2004

Bug

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Rumr. $20. Same for anyone else who said they'd come and didn't.

I was asked to pull the pic of Meredith. I actually went into edit and pulled it, or so I thought. I figured I was too mad to make a clear decision so I went with the advice of a friend. Then I stewed on it all night. I wished I had not pulled it. This morning, the picture is still there. I'm glad. It is what it is. Sorry if it makes someone else feel less than good. People need to know what happens when kids run out of control. I'm NOT trying to single out the kid who did it or the parents of the kid who did it. EVERYONE feels bad-ESPECIALLY Meredith. My daughter came within 1/2 inch of loosing her eye. The act was not intentional but the stick was thrown. Natural consequences are appropriate. If you think it sucks feeling bad that your kid or your friend's kid or SOMEONE OTHER THAN MEREDITH feels bad. With all due respect, tough shit. Try being Meredith. Again, you know who you are BUT this is about parenting in general not a personal attack. There is always a kid or two who run wild in a pack. In past years it was my daughter Olivia. I thought my wife was over-reacting when she told me other parents will not let their kids play with her. Meredith did not want to come this year because another kid "tried to stab her with a knife" last year. She was scared and remembered it a year later. The kid was playing but she didn't know that. Next year, I will not make her come.

For the record, Olivia was punished with natural consequences whenever she screwed up. If she got into someone elses pack and ate their food without permission, she was treated as a stealer and openly punished with a time out and no treats when everyone else got them. She finally got it and mellowed out a bit. People actually come to our house more than once now. She has friends. It doesn't take much of a punishment. Time outs or loosing treats or privleges is a big deal to a kid. It just takes consistency. They need to know there are limits and where those limits are and THAT THOSE LIMITS WILL BE ENFORCED EVERY TIME. There is an article in TIME magazine about how to tell your kids 'NO'. TIME usually sucks but just the fact that it is such a big social issue that TIME put it on the cover says something. Reign in your kids. It's not OK for them to adversly affect other kids. They all do it yes. THAT'S WHY THEY NEED PARENTS WHO ARE WILLING TO SAY NO.

These sort of things happen with kids. You can be the best parent and stuff still happens. When I was a kid my brother and I were in the Y-Indian Guides with my Dad. We went on a camping trip to Doheny State Beach down near San Juan Capistrano. We were all walking near an estuary that had these nice, rounded rocks, perfect for throwing. Some kid tossed a fist-sized rock and hit my brother in the head, opening up a good sized gash. The kid didn't mean to throw it at my brother. His aim was off.

So what is it with boys and sticks anyway? When my son was two years old, we were walking and he found a stick, picked it up and started waving it around. No one needed to teach him that. My daughter never got into sticks like that. The affinity for sticks must be hard-wired in boys.

Yeah. My girls scream and hide when you come over. "Is he gone daddy?"

I know I'm harsh. I'm a dick more than most. But sometimes somebody has to say something and it's the dick who says it first.

I'm not a star parent. It's just that I got hit in the face by flying objects twice on the trip. Meredith once. It was going unchecked by all but me. Someone finally got hurt and it was pure dumb luck that it wasn't life threatening.

I am still really upset. I'm just going to sign off for awhile. Flame away. I'll read it all in a few days.

Stupid parents suck. Control your children, dammit; don't make me do it. I'm with Bug in that it frosts my ass when some lazy fucking parent doesn't discipline their child. If you make the choice to squeeze out puppies, don't make them a burden on the rest of us.

Flame me, I don't fucking care. You're the one who made the lifestyle choice - don't make other people responsible for it. Kids are like dogs, they both need good discipline and then everybody's happy.

Greg_W

Edited by Greg_W

hey all--lets not get too riled up here. it doesn't even sound like Bug is pointing the finger too much at the parent. any parent knows that no matter how close an eye you keep on your kids, they will do things in a split second that horrifies you. even the children of the best parents out there will behave badly from time to time, including throwing sticks at their brothers. it sucks that meredith got caught in the crossfire. (Bug-sounds like she's a real trooper!) however, before anyone lambastes the parent, think about your own behaviour as a child or the behaviour of your children. kids aren't perfect no matter how hard we try to make them that way.

bug, you're right, no one feels worse than meredith...except maybe you smirk.gif it's so hard to watch your kids suffer, i think it might be worse on the parent. wave.gif

I wasn't there and I don't know anything about the situation. what I do know...

a) my 5 year old broke his arm falling off the monkey bars this year. my day care provider cried with relief when I told her I wasn't going to sue. that is completely rediculis. kids play rough and get hurt and fall and break things they are children.

b) my boys play with stick ALL the time. But I am a total hard ass and I am always yelling at them to get away from other people.

c) when there is a large group of children someone ALWAYS gets hurt. Iknow this because when I was a kid it was always me. 4 broken bones, countless injuries and concusions later, I eventualy learned to watch out where I was going and to skidaddle away from all the rough housing.

Bug. I hope your little girl is okay.

I can't wait till you have kids Greg... yellaf.gif

My wife and I used to look at other people and their kids and say to each other "our kid won't be like that" We have ate crow so many times now that I don't mind the feathers. I didn't witness any brand of bad parenting. Yeah sure, I let my son ride on top of the truck through the campground and whipped the kids into a frenzy by wrestling with them. Some parents would not approve. And Bug got them all jacked up with infusions of sugar and chocolate of which we do not approve. But the main thing is the kids were having a blast and a break from routine. Just like us.

Greg, you will find that kid's, like dogs will sometimes act out of character when they pack up, especially if critical mass is reached. No matter how well you discipline your puppy, she may still run off with a bunch of neighbors dogs and kill livestock or attack a kid. Then come back home smiling and wagging her tail.

No matter what, I am not going to discipline my kid like a dog.

whatever greg...in gregspeak, you weren't there so chug a whole fricken keg of hot spiced shutdafuck up

Was there a single supervisor supposed to be watching the kids at all times? Or was each parent supposed to be watching their respective child? Do you know?

And even if you do, i don't know that some idiot (you) espousing his views in a loudmouthed brazen asshole style fashion in a public forum is really gonna accomplish anything...

so again, cuz you're really dumb,slow and stupid (but loud), I'll repeat it, SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE, Tool...

PS: Bug, i hope meredith is ok...

Looks like the kids had a blast. You parents who showed up with them did a great job of giving them a special time!

Sorry about Meredith. Dru, leave the picture there. She's cute and hey, it won't be the last picture of a kid with some wound that we'll see. Looks like she's okay, and boys dig chicks with a history wink.gif.

Kids will misbehave and throw stuff at each other and do unimaginable things. It's tough to prevent it. It's irresponsible not to react to it appropriately, though, and Dru's example of a timeout is a widely accepted way of doing that (no treats is good too, if they get treats at all). My kids will do stupid things to each other. I can't always watch them and prevent it. At the same time, I will not ignore them and not react appropriately.

But hey, really, this thread should be to celebrate people getting off their butt and braving a bad forecast in order to give time to their kids to do something cool and out of their ordinary. I'll bigdrink.gif to that! rockband.gif on!

drC

hey all--lets not get too riled up here. it doesn't even sound like Bug is pointing the finger too much at the parent. any parent knows that no matter how close an eye you keep on your kids, they will do things in a split second that horrifies you. even the children of the best parents out there will behave badly from time to time, including throwing sticks at their brothers. it sucks that meredith got caught in the crossfire. (Bug-sounds like she's a real trooper!) however, before anyone lambastes the parent, think about your own behaviour as a child or the behaviour of your children. kids aren't perfect no matter how hard we try to make them that way.

bug, you're right, no one feels worse than meredith...except maybe you smirk.gif it's so hard to watch your kids suffer, i think it might be worse on the parent. wave.gif

Yeah, Micah was crying because he felt bad that he didn't prevent it. He's a big brother with 4 younger brothers (no, not my puppies) so he's got some experience here as well. He felt very badly that Mer got hurt. Ya know, I yelled the day before because the kids were playing with fire, literally...they knocked a burning stick off and set some pine needles on fire, which could have spread. I got branded a hard ass because I yelled at every kid within 10 feet of me...some wouldn't even speak to me for the rest of the day. I pointed out the sonsequences of what happens when you don't listen...and when you pllay with fire. My point is, if you weren't there and you aren't a parent, shut the fuck up....if you were there, then we all know that these things happen and everyone is justified in making their remarks. The kids were having fun....they were outside in the mountains climbing. There were 8 kids and 5 parents present at any given time. Could it have been prevented? How the Hell do I know. I feel badly that I didn't see it happen...I was belaying at the time. I have Micah's side of the story and Bugs side of the story and the other boys side of the story. None of them coroborate. I have no right whatsoever to pass judgement on anyone else. The point is, shit happens...its done and over.....we all learned a lesson from it, at least I hope we did. We can't go back in time. We're lucky that it was below Mer's eye and not in the eye. I'm sure that any of the boys there will not be throwing sticks anymore. I can guarantee that mine won't be anyways. In truth, this was an accident, not a malicious act from a 7 year old child.

Please people, move on...theres nothing to see here.

It was nice meeting everyone. We had a nice time....I got to hear how things are and my naive optimism is now more apparant to me than ever. We heard some great stories and learned alot. Micah and I still have a passionate enthusiasm for climbing...we're going to do more of it. I'm learning and training with my future climbing partner (until I'm replaced with the hot 18 year old). Mer's eye will be okay. Bug will cool down and a young boy learned a lesson. He felt badly for it as did his parents. Everyone else, hold your judgement...and stop beating a dead horse. Its done. Its over. See you next year.

Please people, move on...theres nothing to see here.

Oh, I don't think so. We talk fatalities into the ground, think what could be done with a simple injury. And to a child, no less. The liberals will launch into how John Kerry would have prevented the injury with groundbreaking legislation that will protect our children. Conservatives will rejoinder that such governmental intrusion is unconstitutional and would never happen with George W. Bush at the helm. Since he is at the helm now, he has scheduled a visit to the injury site and has commissioned John Ashcroft to investigate the ability to ban public access to "sticks" under the Patriot Act. I will go on to mention that, before stepping down, Charlton Heston instituted an education program to teach young children the dangers of "sticks" and what one should do when they encounter a "stick" (of course this is all funded by the NRA and IS a 2nd Amendment issue). And it could go on, and on, and on, and on.... wink.gif