2002 : Tough Year For Climbers

wayne

More than any other year I can remmember (30+ years), I cant think of a more accident-prone year than this , and it is honly half over! Mine started with witnessing a horrible accident in the East,then the volcano stories .

Then the loss of a dear friend in the Himal...

Then another in Bolivia.

Then the one that recently ocurred.

There have been many more with people I dont know.

I have had my own bumps on the road but I hope we can all learn from this and be VERY safe out there , please [Frown]

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots of people taking up climbing and going into the mountains in general. I'm actually surprised there aren't more accidents, I've seen some seriously ill prepared people out at the crags and such over the past couple years. There are probably some we don't even hear about. Be smart, be safe.

I'm pretty much "old school" on the cell phone thing but in the one time that I needed one (just to report an overdue return, not to call in air support), it would have prevented so much upheaval that I have no reservation in considering throwing it in on certain climbs.

That being said, when you only have yourself and your partners to rely on in difficult conditions, it's amazing what resources you find within the group.

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

you're just fookin' jealous cause i'm better looking than you.
[laf]

[Moon]
<--smell this wanker

Just because you shave your ass and walk on your hands backwards doesn't mean you aren't one ugly-ass looking wookie. Lick it, [Moon] it's definitely better than the breath you're sportin' now.

[big Drink][laf]

Greg W

My approach with family Tex is to just say, we're going climbing - no worries. And just always call and say you had fun and are home safe. No need to discuss how tough it was or any of this year's accidents with them and I never mention friends who've had accidents or been killed. It's all a need to know basis with them.